Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovered Hard Drive Identifies Wrong Drive Size

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mindriot07

Mindriot07

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:21 PM

Hello!

Thank you for taking the time to look at my issue. There is a bit of story behind it, so let me start there.

I had a 3TB external hard-drive that I lost the power cable to. Like an idiot, I just grabbed another power cable that I had laying around. Well, turns out that particular power cable was a 16V...and the hard drive needs a 12V...so yeah...the inevitable happened...the power supply burned out. I did find another 12V power cable that fit the hard drive, so I start using that instead (Hindsight is 20/20, right). The drive sounded like it wanted to start up, there was a faint clicking coming from the front of the drive where the power cable plugs in, and my computer actually recognized it as an external device the very first time I tried. So, I started think, "Maybe it's just the power source, maybe I didn't just completely screw up this entire drive."

Fast forward a few days later. I am sitting in my living room going at this external with a screw driver and some determination. After about 30-45 minutes of trying to break into the damn thing, I was finally able to prey open that case and get to the Hard Drive inside. I examined the power source and I couldnt see anything wrong but it did smell like burnt computer parts, so my theory was at least partially correct. Now, to find out if the actual drive itself is damaged.

I took the drive back downstairs to my computer, hooked it up via SATA, and..EUREKA! It was recognized! However, I was not able to actually access the drive. Trying to open the drive gave me a prompt to format it. I did not want to do this yet, as I had data on it that I still wanted.

Thinking that this was  bit weird, I went ahead and did a chkdsk on the drive. It was here that I was informed that the filesystem was NOT NTSF, but instead the filesystem was RAW, which I had never heard of before. After a little research and couple of programs not working, I was able to finally grab all the data I wanted off the drive and get it onto another drive. Data I pulled off  was approximately 300GB in size.

After the transfer was completed I went ahead and formatted the drive. 

Now, here is the problem I am facing.

The newly formatted drive is only showing up as a drive with 300ish GB's of space, when it is supposed to be 3 TB's.

I am trying to figure out

A: What could have caused this

B: Is this something that is fixable and

C: If it can be fixed, how would I go about doing that?

Or do I now just have a 300ish GB drive....

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Edited by Mindriot07, 03 March 2016 - 03:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:51 PM

Try the following. Download Partition Wizard and do the following in order after backing up any data on the drive

Delete all Partitions

Initialize the drive as GPT

Create a Partition and format as NTFS

In Partition Wizard all steps are virtual. Each step will show in the lower left pane. All steps will be done in order after you click Apply. This lets you back out if you do not create the step correctly.

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 March 2016 - 03:51 PM.

#3 Mindriot07

Mindriot07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 03 March 2016 - 04:35 PM

Awesome! Thank you. I will give that a try!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users