Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with unwanted calls and texts

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bliss06

bliss06

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 03 March 2016 - 02:40 PM

I have a Samsung android phone. For the last 3+ mos I have been receiving calls and texts from an "unknown name" but the number shows up as a local number - a town in my area code.  The texts are short and vague (be careful, hello, watch what you are doing, do you want to talk, why won't you talk, why are you avoiding me, etc).  When the calls first came in, I answered the first 2 times. Both times I answered, there was nothing on the other end, no sound and it sounded like a "dead" phone - like the line wasn't open. I hung up after maybe 15 or so seconds each time, again after no response on the other end. When they call, most times they let it go to voicemail, but again it is typically "dead" and lasts from 6 seconds to almost 3 minutes... always different.  Sometimes there is a static like noise. A few ppl I've told about this thought maybe it was a robocall or persistent salesperson... some even said they heard of "psychics" doing this to try to get money out of you. Only ONCE, did I receive a 17 second voicemail where i definitely heard a very muffled male voice and then a muffled female voice in the background at the end. This is when I figured it was an actual person making the calls and texts and that on this occasion, they pocket dialed me.  

There is never any personal info or anything that would pertain to me directly. If the person listened to my vm, they would hear my full name and where I work... so they have all that info.  

Early on, I called my carrier because I was a bit nervous. They told me to block the number, and short of changing my number (not a possibility due to my job) or calling the police and filing harassment charges, there wasn't anything I could do. I blocked the number (carrier allows 5 blocked numbers before they start charging) and the calls and texts started from a new number. A retired PO friend of mine said unless they become aggressive/threatening to ignore them and not respond to texts or answer calls... and whoever it was would probably get bored and go away. That hasn't happened.

One time after I blocked the number, the next text I immediately got was one saying "please don't block me again, so I can keep you informed".  I've stopped blocking.

I believe whoever this is has a program or app that disguises their number. When it started my son called the number back and it went to an odd computerized like voicemail.  At first I was a nervous about these texts/calls... but now it's a nuisance.  I can get 8-15 calls/day (no pattern to the calls, except they do stop typically btwn midnight and 8 am) and the texts are infrequent... 1 or 2 every other day or so.

My questions are....

- Do these apps that change your numbers require a certain amount of time after the person answers before the call "connects"?  Both times I waited for the 15+ seconds and it was just dead air. If I had waited longer, would I have heard the other person?  

- If I did connect with the caller... is there any way with today's technology (I admit upfront, I am so NOT tech savvy), that our phones could "link" together in any way?  No one has ever had my phone in their possession, and my phone is always locked. If I were to answer, I don't want to give this person access to anything on my phone, my location etc

- If I were to answer a text message (I have never responded to one) - same as above... is there any way that could link my phone to theirs?  

Everyone keeps telling me to continue to ignore it, but its been 3+ months and I am both tired of it, and I have to say curiosity is getting the better of me. I keep thinking I'm going to answer or respond... but then I chicken out! That being said.... as a female, I don't want to make myself vulnerable to anyone or anything and I'm just wondering if any of you with all of your tech skills have any answers or suggestions for me?  I apologize for this very lengthy post... thank you so much in advance for any info or heads up you can offer.

Edit: Moved topic from Cell Phones to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:21 PM

My advice would be to report the matter to the police.  In the meantime, do not respond to the calls or text messages.  I don't care what you call it but 3 months of text and calls is nothing less than harassment and the law has to deal with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users