Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Freeze/Blackscreen while on Desktop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 milkyway3112

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 03 March 2016 - 05:22 AM

for around 4 months I keep having the same Problem. I already posted this on some other forums (especially the Geforce forums) but never got a response.
While I'm on my desktop, sometimes the screen freezes for around 1 second and then turning into a blackscreen, that lasts either 5-10 seconds before everything returns to normal or lasts forever until I shut down the PC by hand. If it returns to normal after blackscreen an error message is displayed:
"Display driver stopped responding and has recovered. Display driver Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 362.00 stopped responding and has successfully recovered."
Probably the most crucial part is, that this problem only happens when I'm on desktop or while starting a game. It did never once happen while ingame.
The freezes mostly occur when minimizing/maximizing programs or documents, when starting up a video on youtube (or other sites) or through programs like VLC media player. Even when just using the windows start menu or the first time I'm started my browser, I have been getting those freezes sometimes. I can only conclude it has to have something to do with displaying some animations on desktop. As I said, it never happens ingame, even if I play games that need good hardware for hours without stopping.
Recently the problem seems to occur around twice an hour or even more, as long as I'm not ingame. As soon as I'm in the game, nothing ever happens.
What I already tried:
- Some weeks ago I still had Windows 7 and the same problem. Now clean install of Win 10 didn't change anything. (Maybe it is of interest, that this problem already occurred shortly after the Win 10 installation, while I had barely any programs installed)
- tried removing drivers with DDU and installing only the necessary ones.
- tried a lot of different nvidia driver versions between 33X.XX and 362.00, always same problem.
- monitored the grafics card heat, but there was nothing out of the ordinary.
Inno3D GeForce GTX 970 4096MB
ASRock H81M Intel H81 So.1150 Dual Channel DDR3 mATX
Intel Core i5 4590 4x 3.30GHz So.1150
2x 4GB G.Skill NT Series DDR3-1333 DIMM CL9-9-9-24 Single
530 Watt Thermaltake Hamburg Non-Modular 80+ Bronze
128GB SSD (with Win 10 64bit Home), 300GB HDD harddrives
I couldn't find any solution or even anyone who had the same problem as me. All I found was people having these problems while ingame and whatever they did to resolve this, wasn't helping me.

Edited by milkyway3112, 03 March 2016 - 05:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,085 posts
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 04 March 2016 - 08:11 AM

This error:

"Display driver stopped responding and has recovered. Display driver Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 362.00 stopped responding and has successfully recovered."
is a STOP 0x117 error (a BSOD without the Blue Screen)
If the driver had stopped responding and had NOT recovered - then it would be a STOP 0x116 error and you would have see the BSOD.
I'm headed out of town in a few minutes, but would suggest that you start with this:
Please follow these troubleshooting suggestions:  http://www.sysnative.com/forums/bsod-kernel-dump-analysis-debugging-information/35-video-tdr-timeout-0x116-0x117.html#post29532
Also, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Rereading your description, this could be a hardware problem with your hard drive. Oops, I meant video card - sorry!
Try all the troubleshooting stuff - but realize that you may have to try another video card to see if the problem still exists.
If that's the case, and you don't have another video card, I'd suggest purchasing one from a shop that will let you return it if it's not needed.

Good luck!

Edited by usasma, 05 March 2016 - 05:42 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users