Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard on laptop acting weird

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Suspenceful

Suspenceful

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 03 March 2016 - 02:30 AM

The upper keys on my laptop have been acting weird. my numbers and my F numbers never seem to do what they are supposed to do.  They all have different functions than usual. always different, and sometimes two have the same function. i don't know how to describe it, but they all do different weird things they have never done before. half of the time, my numbers and symbols, on the upper part of the keyboard, don't even work. Esc does this too. I can't play a video game that requires the F keys and regular keys without some menu coming up, or some weird thing happening. a few months ago my INS key, on the upper part of the keyboard, fell off exposing the button. a few days ago, i cleaned my computer with rubbing alcohol like i have been doing for years. Could some of the alcohol have dripped into the inner workings of the keyboard? Did i press some button or change some setting without knowing it? i don't know. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

~Spencer

Edited by hamluis, 04 March 2016 - 03:28 PM.
Moved from External Hardware to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Suspenceful

Suspenceful
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:08 AM

the numpad on the right side of the keyboard and the rest of the keyboard works fine

Edited by Suspenceful, 03 March 2016 - 03:09 AM.

#3 CyberSec_ET

CyberSec_ET

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:35 AM

Here is an article about your issue?

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/laptop-keyboard-acting-weird-help

#4 Suspenceful

Suspenceful
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2016 - 02:32 PM

I tried everything the link told me. I made sure that the language was set to English US, I brought up the onscreen keyboard and it seemed to work perfectly. I am using a different keyboard and that works perfectly too. I am convinced that it has to do with my actual keyboard. It might have just worn out. My whole computer is falling apart. haha. it's time for an upgrade. thanks for your help

~Spencer

#5 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:14 PM

This sounds like what happened to me with my 5 year old Toshiba laptop.  I cleaned the keyboard but the problem persisted, so I paid $30 to have it professionally cleaned.  It still had the problem, so it appeared to have the DWO problem (Done Worn Our)!  I bought a $10 USB keyboard which worked just fine, but the battery needed replacing, and 2 of the 3 USB ports needed replacing, so I decided God just wanted me to get a new laptop.  :thumbsup2: So I bought a new Dell Inspiron 5559 with an I5-6200U CPU and have been living happily ever after.   :rolleyes: YMMV.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users