Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Total Linux Newbie With a Version Question

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 straightupwv

straightupwv

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:41 PM

I have a pretty old Dell Optiplex GX270.  It has a P4 2.8 gig processor, 3.25 gigs of RAM, an Nvidia GeForce FX5500 video card and an Aureal Vortex 8830 sound card.  I'm trying to get out from under the tyrany that is Microsoft.  I'm attempting a dual boot with Windows XP and some version of Linux.  I tried Mint a while ago but it wouldn't recognize my video card.  I can't remember which thread I was reading but it recommended Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.  It's just not working out.  The whole thing acts jittery.  Text shows up long after I've typed it, YouTube videos are impossible to watch and windows take forever to appear and disappear.  Is this version too much for my hardware?  Can someone recommend a version that would be compatible with my hardware while still being able to deal with my ancient video card?

Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 977 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:00 PM

Maybe this: https://community.linuxmint.com/hardware/view/15667 might be helpful with your Linux Mint problem. Otherwise someone who's more experienced can help you find the right distro or fix your Linux Mint problem.

#3 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:14 PM

I have an Optiplex GX280. I installed Linux Lite and it did alright with that distro.

https://www.linuxliteos.com/

To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,221 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:35 PM

Linux Mint Mate may be your answer, as well as linux lite

Edited by MadmanRB, 02 March 2016 - 09:36 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#5 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 977 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2016 - 02:43 AM

I have an Optiplex GX280. I installed Linux Lite and it did alright with that distro.

https://www.linuxliteos.com/

Hows the support Linux Lite forums?

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,221 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2016 - 02:46 AM

Decent, not that bad really

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#7 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:26 PM

Hi straightupwv

Is this version too much for my hardware?

On the face of it - no.

A Google search using keywords (you can use this with any Linux Distro) "ubuntu 14.04 system requirements" shows, at

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements

The Recommended Minimum System Requirements, here, should allow even someone fairly new to installing Ubuntu or Gnu&Linux to easily install a usable system with enough room to be comfortable. A good "rule of thumb" is that machines that could run XP, Vista, Windows 7 or x86 OS X will almost always be a lot faster with Ubuntu even if they are lower-spec than described below. Simply try Ubuntu CD as a LiveCD first to check the hardware works.

Ubuntu Desktop Edition
  • 700 MHz processor (about Intel Celeron or better)
  • 512 MiB RAM (system memory)
  • 5 GB of hard-drive space (or USB stick, memory card or external drive but see LiveCD for an alternative approach)
  • VGA capable of 1024x768 screen resolution
  • Either a CD/DVD drive or a USB port for the installer media
  • Internet access is helpful

... so your system easily covers that.

Graphics issues with nVidia drivers can plague Linux users from time to time, myself included.

Your very simplest option, at first, might be to check and see if the homegrown Nouveau driver works as a replacement for your nVidia. The following screenshots are from my install of Vinux 5.0 (Vinux is for the visually challenged) which is based on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, featuring the Unity launcher at left (I assume you are using Unity).

QhcH8En.png

Go to the Dash, top left-hand corner and click, type in Additional, then click Additional Drivers.

DjJaulC.png

Yours should show your Nvidia GeForce FX5500 video driver highlighted as in use. But you should also see the option for Nouveau, such as I am using. Note also the tab second from left reads "Other Software" - we can look at that shortly.

In your case, if you check and choose the Nouveau, the Apply Changes button will highlight, click it. It may take a minute or two, and you may see a progress indicator. When the process is complete, close out and reboot and see how you do.

If no better, or even worse, you can retrace the steps and choose Revert, wait for the changes, and reboot, you'll be back at square one.

Other Software tab, mentioned earlier is handy for seeing what ppa's you have

from Wikipedia - A Personal Package Archive (PPA) is a special software repository for uploading source packages to be built and published as an APT repository by Launchpad. While the term is used exclusively within Ubuntu, Launchpad host Canonical envisions adoption beyond the Ubuntu community.

Mine here is from Vinux

3zPsOMh.png

... and what is NOT listed there is a part of my next option:

CLI option, ie from Terminal:

NickAu has an excellent article here -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/549534/nvidia-drivers-how-to-install-it-in-ubuntu-14041204/

... which is well worth the read. If you read through the 3 or so pages, you will see where I am going, and it includes some happy input from me.

In #2 of that Topic, Nick gives instructions on adding a PPA to your system. My screenshot below is from my Ubuntu 15.10 MATE "Wily Werewolf" from which I am now typing

wDZv87N.png

... and you can see at bottom the result of following that Terminal process Nick outlines - xorg-edgers is now there.

In my Ubuntu Wily you can see that as a result, I am using nVidia v358.16 successfully

BU1FOjV.png

If you take a look at http://www.howopensource.com/2012/10/install-nvidia-geforce-driver-in-ubuntu-12-10-12-04-using-ppa/  and scroll down the page to Quadro FX Series, you will find your card listed there.

I hope one of these options work for you, and are not too confusing, but if so come back and we can take a look. There is more than one way to skin a cat, and if you persevere I am sure you will soon be on your way in your Linux adventure.

I would certainly advocate trying the Nouveau option first, as it may be your one-stop shop for now and the immediate future.

Keep us posted and good luck.

:wizardball: Wizard

BTW - and :welcome: to the Linux Section if this is your first time here!

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,101 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:29 PM

I think you could run Mint or Ubuntu, but maybe Ubuntu Mate with that pc.  You will just need some help with the Video card.  I like Mint, so take a look at this, boot up Mint and see what it says.  Look in Driver Manager if possible along with a screenshot.  Also post up your specs if you are in Mint with this command in the Terminal if you can.  If help is needed just ask.  Wiz, as I like to call him has just posted a nice piece to help you out!  Scroll down to where it talks about Nvidia.

https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_rebecca_mate.php

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#9 straightupwv

straightupwv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2016 - 07:53 AM

I didn't see the last 2 posts until after I downloaded Linux Lite.  I ran it from the CD and I really like it.  My computer hasn't been this robust since it was now.  Unfortunately, I don't understand the language of Linux yet so a lot of what I've read is Greek to me.  Linux Lite seems like it will be a good starting point for an old man who only has experience with Windows. I can' always come back to Ubuntu at a later date.  I do have one question.  Should I uninstall Ubuntu before I install Linux Lite?.  I've already download instructions on how to uninstall it without ruining the Windows part of the dual boot.

#10 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2016 - 08:09 AM

You won't have to uninstall Ubuntu to install Linux Lite. You can just install over it. There might even be an option during the install process to overwrite your current Ubuntu install with Lite (I know Ubuntu has this, but haven't played with Lite before). If it doesn't just choose the same partition that Ubuntu is on, check the format box and hit install. Should be as simple as that.

I would back up any data on XP, before installing, just in case you mess something up and accidently overwrite the XP partition!

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#11 straightupwv

straightupwv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2016 - 10:30 AM

Thanks DeimosChaos for the advice.  I won't get a chance to do it until Sunday.  I've already done the backup.  I'll keep you posted with the results.

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,101 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2016 - 11:37 AM

If LL works out of the box then that will be a good choice for you, that's a Single Core CPU so you will need something lite.  Ubuntu is going to be too Heavy an OS imo.  You could use Wiz's instructions in the upper part if you still want to try Ubuntu out though.  

I wanted to provide you with two more in case you want to try some others, now or in the future.  LXLE is very good also and good for older hardware out of the box, usually.  Also Mint Xfce is one of my favs, so will leave direct link to that also, 32bit 17.1 version.  You will probably still run into issues with Nvidia with this one but is one of my favs.

Mint Xfce, just scroll down to the "Mirror" closest to you.

https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=181

LXLE-32bit 14.04.3

http://www.lxle.net/download

With LXLE you will need to choose from the dropdown "LXLE 32Bit 14.04.3"  and fill in the "Solve Media"

GWDKBKA.png

pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#13 straightupwv

straightupwv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2016 - 03:52 PM

I'm going to go off topic here for a second.  I've always heard that the Linux community was full of good people.  Nothing could be more true!  You folks are incredibly inclusive and generous.  You've made an "outsider" feel welcomed.  I'm looking forward to more interaction with you.

#14 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 04 March 2016 - 06:27 PM

I'm looking forward to more interaction with you.

That's sweet, and I think I can speak for all of us in saying you are more than welcome!

I won't confuse you with other options until you try what you are planning and see how you go. Let us know, and enjoy learning a new language! Linux is spelled F-R-E-E-D-O-M.

BTW - 61? not old, I am 58, and spent 25 years with Windows before I "saw the light". Others of our ilk include jargos, paul88ks, Rocky Bennett, Captain Dunsel, and on and on - all of whom you may meet in your travels, all 55 - 65 and just lapping up Linux.

Enjoy

:wizardball: Wizard

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2016 - 04:10 AM

I'm going to go off topic here for a second.  I've always heard that the Linux community was full of good people.  Nothing could be more true!  You folks are incredibly inclusive and generous.  You've made an "outsider" feel welcomed.  I'm looking forward to more interaction with you.

Glad to hear it, and  :welcome: to our Linux community! :)

Here, you won't find the bashing, mudslinging, and other things that goes on at 'dedicated' Linux forums all over the place. Considering how long that many of these has been in existence, some has likely harmed, rather than helped, Linux growth, especially among newbies running Windows while learning whatever Linux version they're running. 'Windows' is a forbidden word on many, and if one says they're dual booting, into the dog house one goes & chances are, will never get out, only by leaving the forum can one escape the harassment. 

Though I'll give one forum credit where it's due, and that's the PCLinuxOS forum, those folks were the best to me, as far as Linux only forums goes. As a near 7 year Linux Mint user, have less than 60 posts to my name on their forum, they were a little, but not much better one, though chances are by now that Clem (the Linux Mint founder) has stepped in & had a discussion with their forum Administrators to tone things down. It's an outright disgrace when Administrators & Moderators of these forums eggs on the torment, and in some cases, starts it. 

That type of activity is forbidden here, and will be cut short fast when reported. We encourage reporting these type of posts ASAP upon discovery, and we keep reporting confidential, so that members can feel free to report w/out being harassed over doing so. :)

Hope to see you participating in our community, which we take great pride in. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users