Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random DNS Failures

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bryan Mohr

Bryan Mohr

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:00 PM

I have a home network with several computers. 6 of them are running Windows 10 Pro. The router is a Linksys LRT224. One of the Windows 10 machines (we'll call it Library) can be working fine with browsing web pages for 20-30 minutes or so, then just randomly it will get an error that the page can not be loaded and a DNS error. If you wait a few minutes, it will normally just start working again on it's own. There is no problem with that computer communicating with any other computer on the network during that internet outage time. I've tried manually setting the DNS servers on that machine to different ones than what are set on the router, but that didn't change anything. Does anyone have any suggestions? Oh, and all computers on the network are hard-wired to the switches and router.

Edited by Bryan Mohr, 02 March 2016 - 08:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Smsec

Smsec

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:45 PM

It may be that your internet connection is dropping out for a few minutes each time this happens. That would cause you to get a DNS error. I had this problem recently and was able to prove it to my Internet service provider by running Pingplotter tool: http://www.pingplotter.com/ ( free 30day trial).  I configured this to ping my ISP home page ever few seconds and it showed the time the connection dropped. They sent a tech out to test my equipment and I showed him the graph. He didn't find any problems at my home so he opened a ticket with their line group. Next day they fixed the problem.

#3 Bryan Mohr

Bryan Mohr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:18 PM

I thought that might have been it, but out of so many computers (over 20), Library is the only one that has the issue. I will give pingplotter a try though, just to make sure.

#4 Smsec

Smsec

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:32 PM

It may be a problem with a port on a switch or a bad ethernet cable. If packets are being lost due to one of these causes, that tool should see it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users