Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft to force Windows 10 update this June?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 977 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:51 PM

I was just told by my local PC retailer that Microsoft will supposedly force Windows 7/8.1 users to upgrade to Windows 10 this June.

Is this true?

If so I'm worried about the update mechanism, telemetry/spyware & lack gadgets being replaced by live tiles. Because I really like having a slide widget on my desktop that can display all of my images from the pictures directory, even more concerning is the lack of control over updates in Windows 10 what if it breaks my AV, third party Firewall, Sandboxie, Antikeylogger or Steam? Then theres the telemetry which creeps me out I don't feel comfortable with the telemetry watching me on any financial website it just feels like a potential backdoor for blackhats. :(  :nono:

Edited by hamluis, 03 March 2016 - 10:23 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Win 10 Discussion - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:05 PM

You do not have to update unless you are using a late model CPU. You can install GWX Control Panel to prevent you from upgrading to Windows 10 if you wish.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/16/10780876/microsoft-windows-support-policy-new-processors-skylake

#3 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 977 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:54 PM

You do not have to update unless you are using a late model CPU. You can install GWX Control Panel to prevent you from upgrading to Windows 10 if you wish.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/16/10780876/microsoft-windows-support-policy-new-processors-skylake

Thanks for sharing that app with me it looks promising. :thumbup2:  BTW I have a Intel i5 4570 on my desktop.

#4 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2016 - 07:56 PM

MS keeps coming up with more and more things to get us to Windows 10 all the time, so presently we know that we can prevent it.  However we don't really know what they might come up with next, so in addition to all the other reasons, this is just one more reason to make full system backups to external hard drives.  Sooner or later you'll find they can save you a whole lot of grief.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#5 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 11:01 PM

@SuperSapien64 Intel Core i5 4570 is what my computer is. It upgraded to windows 10 very well and with no issues.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

#6 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 977 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 11:17 PM

@SuperSapien64 Intel Core i5 4570 is what my computer is. It upgraded to windows 10 very well and with no issues.

As I said earlier theres also privacy issues with the telemetry even if it works fine and doesn't break applications I still feel uncomfortable with all the telemetry. :unsure: :( 

#7 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 08:13 AM

Windows X has some great features which have been expressed here in this forum. However, the point with me as well as others, is the telemetry and the fact that you do not have a 'choice as to what is downloaded'. In essence, one feels that your PC is no longer yours and is just an extension of MS' whim.

#8 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 12:20 PM

The telemetry can be turned off by going to Settings -> Privacy and turning everything there off if you wish.  The only place where you don't have a download choice is with the Home version of Windows 10 where MS has decided it knows what's best for us with Windows Updates.  I have mixed feelings about that, but I've seen a lot of posts from folks who've gotten into trouble because they didn't install the fixes.  If you want more control over that, you can go to the Pro version where you have more control.  Personally I've always installed all the recommended updates since 1998, and never had a problem doing that.  YMMV.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,008 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 01:48 PM

Windows X has some great features which have been expressed here in this forum. However, the point with me as well as others, is the telemetry and the fact that you do not have a 'choice as to what is downloaded'. In essence, one feels that your PC is no longer yours and is just an extension of MS' whim.

No, some feel that way.  Others recognize this as the necessary care and feeding of any modern OS, particularly one aimed at the home user (read: generally technically unsophisticated) market.

An ounce of update prevention is worth many tons of post-disaster cure.  And since I'm in the business of post-disaster cure, much of which has been the direct result of insistence on not doing pre-disaster updates due to unwarranted fear and bad advice, I know quite well of where I speak.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#10 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 06:33 PM

No, some feel that way.  Others recognize this as the necessary care and feeding of any modern OS, particularly one aimed at the home user (read: generally technically unsophisticated) market.

An ounce of update prevention is worth many tons of post-disaster cure.  And since I'm in the business of post-disaster cure, much of which has been the direct result of insistence on not doing pre-disaster updates due to unwarranted fear and bad advice, I know quite well of where I speak.

Again, you are entitled to your opinion. However when it comes to my PC (whether right or wrong) the final decision will be mine not MS.

#11 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 08 March 2016 - 06:38 PM

I don't know if it's true they'll use full forced upgrades or whether they'll continue on their current path of upgrades which are at the very verge of being forced. So far users who kept updates set to check automatically but not download and avoided everything but security updates and bug fixes relevant to bugs they had experienced have been ok, but I'm not sure if this will continue, today I found something very creepy going on with KB3146449, a non-security "fix" contained within a cumulative update to IE, this suggests things may be getting worse.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#12 Dragongirl

Dragongirl

• Members
  • 209 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 13 March 2016 - 07:42 PM

Let us just be thankful that once 29 July passes all these free update bombs MS is shoving down our throats will stop. I hope. Until then, keep your GWX Control Panel up to date! If it weren't for Brainout and Aurua and RP88 here, And also a friend on another site, I'd never had found that MS snuck Wiindows 10 into my machine, and that of my parents

Thankfully however there is a computer maker that thankfully lets me select to either format the drive without an OS {free}, or put Seven Pro on it for a price {of 82$} Or put windows 8 on it {for 48$} or Ten {free}

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

#13 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,221 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 10:20 PM

Linux gets looking better and better doesnt it?

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#14 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 977 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 11:36 PM

Again, you are entitled to your opinion. However when it comes to my PC (whether right or wrong) the final decision will be mine not MS.

Agreed.

Linux gets looking better and better doesnt it?

It sure does :thumbup2: , but with the growing popularity of Linux will come more malware targeting it and consequently more AV/anitmalware products for Linux will become available. Also a good sandbox comes to mind and thats Firejail.

#15 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 14 March 2016 - 07:48 PM

Post#12,
If things go the way some people are suggesting in other threads ms might decide that they haven't had the amount of upgrades they want and may increase the time period. Or it might be that when gwx performs an upgrade on a user, after the July date, without their permission the first thing to come up will be an "enter your card details here to buy windows 10 and continue" screen.

And dragongirl, WHICH computer maker? The way things could potentially go with secureboot proper computers where a user can install any OS might get much harder to find.

Edited by rp88, 14 March 2016 - 07:49 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users