Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

W8.1 recovery drive: USB-stick (64 GB) and FAT32...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LASERzzzzzz

LASERzzzzzz

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:56 PM

hi

I have a laptop (msi-GT72-2QD) with windows 8.1 (preinstalled). Some days ago
i created a (small) USB-recovery-drive with 256 MB.  Now i want to use the second
option and crate a "large" recovery drive: in this case W8.1 will also copy
the recovery partition to the stick.

I tried to create the large stick, but:
the creation-wizard on this laptop wanted from me a USB-stick with minimum 32 GB capacity.
The problem is: windows is unable to format more than 32GB with FAT32. So (i guess) 
i will need an extra tool to format the stick with FAT32 before the wizard can use the stick.
The second posibility is: the creation-wizard is able to format more than 32GB with FAT32.

Should i now just buy a stick with 64GB (maybe more ?) and the wizard will format
it with FAT32 and create the recovery drive?  Or should i look for a FAT32-tool first?

thx a lot and see yahhhhh......!!

LASERzzzzz....     ........live from EUROPE.....

Edited by LASERzzzzzz, 02 March 2016 - 04:58 PM.

....i dont like CHAOS but CHAOS likes me! ....live from EUROPE/germany !!! ....live from EUROPE/germany !!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:36 PM

Something is wrong.  To copy the recovery partition when making a Recovery Drive, you need a 16 GB flash drive.  I have never heard of the wizard asking for a 32 GB flash drive.  Could you post a screenshot of the wizard showing where it asks for a 32 GB drive?

#3 LASERzzzzzz

LASERzzzzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:52 PM

hi

I just started the wizard: only a SD-card (2GB) was connected to the laptop. The screenshots are in german

language so i hope its not too diffcult to find the solution.

Translations:

1st screenshot: the option "copy the recovery partition from PC to the recovery drive" is ON. ("screen_1.jpg")

2nd screenshot: "the avail. space on drive must be minimum 32 GB. All data will be erased" ("screen_2.jpg")

thx a lot  and see yahhhh...!

LASERzzzzz....     ........live from EUROPE.....

Attached Files

Edited by LASERzzzzzz, 02 March 2016 - 05:54 PM.

....i dont like CHAOS but CHAOS likes me! ....live from EUROPE/germany !!! ....live from EUROPE/germany !!!

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:10 PM

You may want to take a look through this thread. There is a utility called F32formatter but it is only supported up to Windows 7. Seagate has disk wizard but I am not sure if this can be done on a flash drive.

If you want to retain your recovery partition then I recommend you forget about using a USB flash drive and use an external drive to backup a complete disk image using a program like Macrium Reflect Free or Aoemi Backupper. Both programs give you the option to make a recovery disk or USB flash drive. Using it and the disk image on the external drive you can recover your complete disk or only one partition in that complete disk image. You can also mount the disk image to a virtual drive and explore the contents of your disk image, allowing you copy one or more files out of that image.

If the hard drive failed, you can boot the recovery media and restore the disk image from the external drive to the new blank drive, allowing you to be back up in minutes vs hours. You also have the advantage of updating your disk images as new software is added or removed. 

#5 LASERzzzzzz

LASERzzzzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:35 PM

Hi

This is a quite strange situation: i have a brand new USB-stick (32GB, USB3.0, Corsair Voyager GT) and i didnt

try to create the recovery-drive on this 32GB-stick because i thought it will not work....

Some minutes ago i just plugged in this USB-stick and started the wizard: the recovery drive was created sucsessfully....

so its quite weird guys.... i dont know why it worked.......

Here are some screenshots:

"screen_A.jpg":     formating drive

"screen_B.jpg":     copying recovery partition

"screen_C.jpg":     recovery drive is ready

"screen_D.jpg":     recovery-stick in a file-manager (directory opus 11)

see yahhh!

LASERzzzzz  .........LIVE from EUROPE..................

EDIT__EDIT__EDIT:

i forgot the screenshot "used space_stick.jpg": only 25GB are used on stick, W8.1 wanted min. 32GB..... weird......

Attached Files

Edited by LASERzzzzzz, 02 March 2016 - 06:47 PM.

#6 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:48 PM

Well seeing is believing.  The manufacturer must have loaded that recovery partition with tons of crap.  Anyway, I think John made some excellent suggestions which you should follow.

[Edit]

OK.  I see you solved your problem.  Out of curiosity, I would have liked to examine that recovery partition.  Hell, what in the world could take up 25GB of space??

Edited by Agouti, 02 March 2016 - 06:52 PM.

#7 LASERzzzzzz

LASERzzzzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:09 PM

Out of curiosity, I would have liked to examine that recovery partition.

OK here are 3 screenshots of the recovery stick: you can see sizes of the directories and files......

"screen_Z1.jpg"

"screen_Z2.jpg"

"screen_Z3.jpg"

Attached Files

#8 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:49 AM

I am afraid that doesn't help much.  I can see 8 Install.swm files but it simply means that a large image file that has been split up.  Oh well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users