Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Control panel missing!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 techdumdum

techdumdum

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:32 PM

After using a pc optimization program called Wise Care 365 I noticed that the windows 10 control panel is completely gone. Even when I search "control panel" it doesn't show up. Please help I'm so lost. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:07 PM

Do you have a Backup or a System restore point ??

If a system restore point, I would advise you go back to that point.

This option takes your PC back to an earlier point in time, called a system restore point. Restore points are generated when you install a new app, driver, or Windows update, and when you create a restore point manually. Restoring won’t affect your personal files, but it will remove apps, drivers, and updates installed after the restore point was made.

1. Right-click (or press and hold) the Start button, and then select Control Panel.

2. Search Control Panel for Recovery.

3. Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.

4. Choose the restore point related to the problematic app, driver, or update, and then select Next > Finish.

Note
  • If you’re not seeing any restore points, it might be because system protection isn’t turned on. To check, go to the Control Panel, search for Recovery, and then select Recovery > Configure System Restore > Configure and make sure Turn on system protection is selected.

and...avoid 'pc optimizers' like the plague

They alter registry settings etc etc etc.....and would generally ask you to believe that they know more about the windows system than microsoft themselves....also that they will make the coffee for you and put the cat out and feed the goldfish too !..

Stay away from them.

Edited by Condobloke, 02 March 2016 - 05:13 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 techdumdum

techdumdum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:52 PM

Thanks so much for the help. The only problem is that I can't follow your instructions since I have no control panel to search. It's completely gone.  :smash:

#4 techdumdum

techdumdum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:58 PM

Nm I found it!

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:55 PM

Glad you solved your problem.  However, you should heed Condoblock's advice - avoid registry cleaners.

#6 neuronic

neuronic

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:48 PM

Nm I found it!

Where did it go?

#7 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 03 March 2016 - 05:38 AM

The above is good advice but I would also suggest you email Wise for advice too --- I have found them quite good at responding to appeals for help. You can use the various Wise tools without using the registry cleaner function (as I do).

#8 techdumdum

techdumdum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2016 - 04:30 PM

What about ccleaner? I heard nothing but good things about it. Should I avoid it too?

#9 techdumdum

techdumdum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2016 - 04:32 PM

Nm I found it!

Where did it go?

Oh after doing a system restore the control panel back where it belongs.

#10 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 03 March 2016 - 05:05 PM

Ccleaner, I can recommend. But again, avoid the registry cleaner.

Make sure you have a system restore point or backup to an external HDD in place before using the cleaner (just in case)

Backup to an external HDD regardless.......it is the best insurance you can have.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#11 techdumdum

techdumdum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2016 - 04:51 PM

I do have carbonite for backup. Is that not enough? Thanks again for your help/suggestions. No more registry cleaners for me lol. What kind of maintenence should I be doing? Is defraging the hdd a bad idea?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users