Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I can't access some of my apps

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CRBlair

CRBlair

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 02 March 2016 - 03:47 PM

I run Windows 10 on a Lenovo G700 Laptop. Recently, I had a problem with Auto-Hide. I got that fixed, but then noticed another set of problems with my apps. A few have totally disappeared, and others are in limbo; some are missing  their icons (but the blank colored squares remain on the app list), and (those listed under the "globe" symbol) don't even have the squares. None of these operate: when I click on them, a blank window opens for a few seconds and then closes. Also, these apps won't allow me to uninstall them: I right-click "Uninstall," the "Are you sure?" box comes up, I click "Uninstall," the box disappears, and that's all--the apps are still there. If you can see a pattern in the apps that don't work, your sight is clearer than mine. Here are two lists of apps; the first lists those with colored squares, while the second list the apps under the "globe" symbol.

Those apps with colored squares but no icons:

• AccuWeather

• Alarm Clock HD

• Breaking News

• CBS Sports

• Microsoft Solitaire Collection

• Windows Photos

Those apps under the "globe" symbol:

• Lenovo Companion (information about my computer from the manufacturer)

• Windows Maps

• Microsoft Messaging

• People

• Alarms

• Calculator

• Zune music (which I never use)

In addition, I have one app (Tennessee Volunteers by StatSheet) that I was able to uninstall and reinstall, but, like those mentioned earlier, it doesn't function—a window opens for a few seconds, then closes. I also have another program (which I don't use

very much) that won't take an update.

As you see I have every reason to be concerned about these apps. Any help or advice you could give would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Roger Blair

crogerblair@hotmail.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 03 March 2016 - 05:52 AM

It looks to me as though you might be suffering from some veriation of the November update bug, which has trashed many apps, including the Store. Can you stil use the Store? Most victims cant. Go to the end of All Apps in Start to see if you have broken apps listed with weired addreses starting with '@'. If you do you have the bug. In which case there is a possible (lengthy) fix I can post a link to.

#3 CRBlair

CRBlair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2016 - 06:22 AM

Yes, I can still use the Store. Yes, I have "@" addresses.

Roger Blair

crogerblair@hotmail.com

#4 CRBlair

CRBlair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 07:29 AM

Clayto, I'm still here. If the link doesn't work for me (I'll know when you send it), what are my pother options?

Roger Blair

crogerblair@hotmail.com

#5 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 06 March 2016 - 12:12 PM

Other options would be to restore from a restore point made before the problem began, restore from a full system backup, run SFC and check for corrupt system files, download and run MalwareBytes, post in the Am I Infected forum.  

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#6 CRBlair

CRBlair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2016 - 06:47 AM

Niweg and clayto, I followed Niweg's suggestion, but apparently my restore points were damaged. i had to nuke my system and sttart over from scratch. The problem has been solved (using brute force, unfortunately).

Roger Blair

crogerblair@hotmail.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users