Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't boot with 2 displays

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Justin477

Justin477

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 02 March 2016 - 01:25 PM

I just installed a new SSD and moved my OS onto it, however now I can't start my computer with both of my displays plugged in (1 HDMI and 1 DVI). The main display (HDMI) will flash on and off while the DVI does not receive any signal, until I unplug the DVI and then the computer starts like normal. Both displays work just fine after it has booted.

My display driver is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950, and it is up-to-date as of the time I'm posting this. The Nvidia control panel recognizes both displays and has the HDMI selected as the main display without me having to touch it.

I could boot with both displays plugged in before I installed the SSD.

I did a clean install of Windows (not cloning) originally on the SSD and even tried to re-install again to see if it would fix it and it does not.

The only option in BIOS related to display is to go back to my processor's integrated graphics instead of my Nvidia card, but this really should not be related to the issue at all as both the DVI and HDMI are plugged directly into the Nvidia card's ports.

Something I found very weird when I was checking the BIOS is that if on boot I go to BIOS, exit, and proceed to boot, it works just fine. But not if I just do a normal boot.

Edited by Justin477, 02 March 2016 - 01:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 03 March 2016 - 06:17 AM

I'd suggest posting over in the Internal Hardware forums where those experts hang out:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 jason1997

jason1997

• Banned Spammer
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:38 AM

If that's the case you could try changing the bios settings and saving them then booting up your pc then restart your pc and change the bios setting back and be sure that they're the primary boot-up options. 

#4 Anubis4272

Anubis4272

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:51 AM

I would recommend you try booting into one single Screen as in most cases there is a chance you have not configured the screens properly.

it has happened to me.

Also make sure if you are using a PCI or PCI express video card, try to boot into the VGA or DVI video slots.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users