Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Picassa ending?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 LouiseTopp

LouiseTopp

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 02 March 2016 - 12:47 PM

I use Google Picassa and I hear it's being replaced. How do I upgrade, or does it do it itself?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 02 March 2016 - 12:56 PM.
moved from Window 10 Support

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 02 March 2016 - 12:54 PM

Please do a web search, with the search engine of your choosing, on "Picasa phased out" and you'll have the answers to your questions, many times over.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2016 - 12:56 PM

Google wants you to migrate to Google Photos but Google Photos cannot do what Picassa does.

http://googlephotos.blogspot.com/

https://www.google.com/photos/about/

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,048 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2016 - 02:03 PM

My suggestion would be just to make sure you have a copy of the installer exe file for picasa saved on your harddrive and on removable media. This acts as a backup so if in future picasa is no longer available for download you can still use the old installer exe file to install it on other machines, or reinstall it on your machine if you ever have to reinstall windows and lose all your programs in the process. This will work as long as the installer exe file is an offline one which contains all the necessary things within it, this method will not work for installers which simply act to download the rest of the files needed for installation when you open them. By this method you should be able to keep on using picasa (assuming it is something you use offline on your computer rather than an online service) long after it is discontinued.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 02 March 2016 - 03:18 PM

No support for Picassa + no more updates means uninstall Picassa from the two machines here which had it.  Picassa seemed to be a picture viewer with a few fancy features.  Sure there must be other picture viewers.  Even Windows comes with at least one, and there are/were other free ones  (like maybe XnView?).

#6 LouiseTopp

LouiseTopp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2016 - 11:12 AM

If I transfere to the new one, will my pictures be on it?  I'm a bit unsure.

#7 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2016 - 05:21 PM

http://www.ghacks.net/2016/02/12/google-will-retire-picasa-on-may-1-2016/
http://www.ghacks.net/2016/02/14/want-to-keep-running-picasa-you-can/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users