Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What RAM do I have? Confused...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 noz03

noz03

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:41 AM

Sorry for the newbie questions but I'm a little confused right now.

I want to install a little extra RAM so opened up my computer to check exactly whats already in there. There are 2 empty slots, and 2 sticks both with model number NANYA NT5TU128M8DE-AD for which it says online are both 1GB DDR2. But.... According to DXDiag or my computer's properties I have 4gb. So first of all where are the other 2gb?

Second question is, if I already have 4GB is it possible to add another 4GB? I'm not sure the make or model of my motherboard but the PC I have is http://www.pcworld.com/product/30456/dell-optiplex-755.html (I know it also says it comes with 2gb on the specs but the previous owner had upgraded some stuff so I assume also the RAM.)

Edited by hamluis, 02 March 2016 - 05:13 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 02 March 2016 - 12:35 PM

The OptiPlex 755 has only 4 RAM slots & they are all together. There is no RAM hidden elsewhere. You can certainly put at least 8GB (4 x 2GB ) in one (this is being typed on an OptiPlex 755 with 8GB RAM). Check in the BIOS for currently installed RAM size - if that also says you have 4GB in 2 RAM slots then you must have misread the part number on your existing sticks.

#3 noz03

noz03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2016 - 01:21 PM

Ok I just checked, bios says I have 4gb, (2x2gb DDR2 @ 800mhz). But I am 100% sure I didn't write the model number wrong, I'll attach a photo of it, is it possible the website I was on has wrong information?

Anyway, it seems they are infact 2x2gb, so I will try to get another 2x2gb. But does it have to be DDR2/800MHz or will any RAM do?

12736220_10154010342959612_575377437_n.j

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 02 March 2016 - 01:24 PM

Ok I just checked, bios says I have 4gb, (2x2gb DDR2 @ 800mhz). But I am 100% sure I didn't write the model number wrong, I'll attach a photo of it, is it possible the website I was on has wrong information?

Anyway, it seems they are infact 2x2gb, so I will try to get another 2x2gb. But does it have to be DDR2/800MHz or will any RAM do?

Must be DDR2, DDR or DDR3 etc will not work. Recommended DDR2/800 (or higher).

#5 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 02 March 2016 - 03:59 PM

NANYA NT5TU128M8DE-AD is a 1GB stick according to a Nanya data sheet I have looked at. I assume that Nanya do actually know the sizes of their own ram sticks.

I suggest you remove a RAM stick & get the correct number for your existing sticks, then try to get 2 more the same.

#6 noz03

noz03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:49 PM

NANYA NT5TU128M8DE-AD is a 1GB stick according to a Nanya data sheet I have looked at. I assume that Nanya do actually know the sizes of their own ram sticks.

I suggest you remove a RAM stick & get the correct number for your existing sticks, then try to get 2 more the same.

I know right? Wtf... But I guess I should trust my computers bios and so on no? Surely that can't be wrong...

#7 lti

lti

• Members
  • 595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:20 PM

That is the part number for the chips on the stick, not the stick itself. Those are 1Gb (gigabit) chips.

#8 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:53 PM

If you go for something of a different speed, make sure It is supported by your MOBO. Not all boards support all speeds.

P.S: Is that avitar a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy reference? +1 if so ;)

Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#9 neuronic

neuronic

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2016 - 10:27 PM

Sorry for the newbie questions but I'm a little confused right now.

I want to install a little extra RAM so opened up my computer to check exactly whats already in there. There are 2 empty slots, and 2 sticks both with model number NANYA NT5TU128M8DE-AD for which it says online are both 1GB DDR2. But.... According to DXDiag or my computer's properties I have 4gb. So first of all where are the other 2gb?

Second question is, if I already have 4GB is it possible to add another 4GB? I'm not sure the make or model of my motherboard but the PC I have is http://www.pcworld.com/product/30456/dell-optiplex-755.html (I know it also says it comes with 2gb on the specs but the previous owner had upgraded some stuff so I assume also the RAM.)

I find this to be helpful sometimes : http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/systemscanner

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,224 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:24 PM

According to the net 8GB of ram is the motherboards max ram, 800-MHz  non ECC.

The max amount of ram per slot appears to be 2 GB

I would go for two kits of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148160

Or buy four of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231203

The reason why I say buy so many kits is that windows can and will panic if it sees two separate brands and speeds, if you dont want bluescreens this will be your best option

Edited by MadmanRB, 02 March 2016 - 11:25 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#11 noz03

noz03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:56 AM

According to the net 8GB of ram is the motherboards max ram, 800-MHz  non ECC.

The max amount of ram per slot appears to be 2 GB

I would go for two kits of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148160

Or buy four of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231203

The reason why I say buy so many kits is that windows can and will panic if it sees two separate brands and speeds, if you dont want bluescreens this will be your best option

To be honest I am looking for more budget options, I only paid 60 euros for this PC, so isn't much point in spending too much to upgrade it :)

Only thing I am a little confused about is that many of the sticks say they are for AMD... Is there a difference? All the speeds and other info is the same as what I have now but my motherboard is intel.

Maybe this would work? http://www.ebay.de/itm/2-GB-DDR2-Ram-800-Mhz-PC2-6400U-100-O-K-/351665956838?hash=item51e0eca7e6:g:ohAAAOSwWTRW1ymW

If you go for something of a different speed, make sure It is supported by your MOBO. Not all boards support all speeds.

P.S: Is that avitar a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy reference? +1 if so ;)

Yup it is, I think its called the cosmic cutie ;)

#12 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:47 AM

I'd take Neuronic's suggestion to run the tool from Crucial.  It's always worked for me.  It will give you accurate information about your options and make suggestions.  You don't have to buy from them if you don't want to, but I've found them to be pretty reasonable most of the time.  FWIW these RAM sticks are supposed to be standardized, but I've seen folks get into trouble mixing brands.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#13 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,224 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2016 - 11:58 AM

Yeah dont get the AMD rated sticks, always go for cross compatibility.

As for budget and money I understand, but you dont have to buy everything all at once.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users