Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Misleading Best Buy ad or are there different versions of this CPU?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GameGuru

GameGuru

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:39 AM

Ok I ordered this laptop, should have it friday.  As you can see by the ad it clearing says this is an 8-core processor.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba-satellite-15-6-laptop-amd-a10-series-4gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-black/4834100.p?id=bb4834100&skuId=4834100&cmp=RMX

AMD A10-8700P accelerated processor

Eight-core processing. AMD Eight-Core A10 APU handles the AMD Radeon graphics alongside the central processor to balance the load, unleashing the graphics for extreme gaming and immersive movies.

I decided to see how the processor stacks up against my FX-6300 in my desktop and all the comparisons list the APU as a 4-core processor.

So who is wrong, Best Buy or everyone else?  I am sure it is Best Buy and that sucks because I bought this specific one because it had 8-cores.

Edited by GameGuru, 02 March 2016 - 09:39 AM.

AMD FX-6300 6-Core|Asrock 990FX Extreme3|16GB G. Skill Ripjaws (4x4GB) DDR3 1600|MSI Geforce GTX 970 Gaming 4G|250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD|8TB (total) Seagate NAS HDD|Corsair CX600M 600W PSU|Pioneer BDR-209DBK|HP Pavilion 25XI 25" IPS 7ms Display|CoolerMaster HAF XB EVO|Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II 2.0 Speakers

These guys know tech!  Check out digitalSoup at http://www.digitalsouppodcast.com.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:23 AM

Best buy is wrong. There are no 8-core APU's so that is definitely max 4-core part CPU wise.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,427 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:05 PM

"This item is no longer available."

It looks to have been incorrectly advertised, and on that basis I would think if you're unhappy with the purchase you'd be justified in seeking to return it for a refund.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users