Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cloud Storage

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tealover

tealover

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:05 AM

For those looking for a secure cloud based backup system Livedrive offer a service for unlimited storage for up to 5 devices. They charge £ 50 per year. Over the years I have backed up over 11 Terabytes

Once the initial upload is over it scans for changed files every hour, or every day depending on your selection and uploads are rapid . It stores 30 versions. You can recover deletions and deleted files are kept for 30 days.

Edited by tealover, 02 March 2016 - 07:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 neuronic

neuronic

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:05 AM

I couldn't seem to find it on the site. Do they do bare metal recovery or just file backups? 

#3 tealover

tealover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:49 AM

I'm not familiar with bare metal recovery.

From my understanding of Livedrive restore can only be made to the device backed up.You can select which folders which you want to backup, perhaps an entire HDD It then monitors these folders for changes and does an automatic backup. whilst your computer is on. You don't need to intervene in the process in any way.

I'm  a bit of a "belt  and braces man". I also use A NAS with RAID 5

I hope this helps.

Edited by tealover, 02 March 2016 - 09:56 AM.

#4 neuronic

neuronic

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2016 - 12:35 PM

I'm not familiar with bare metal recovery.

From my understanding of Livedrive restore can only be made to the device backed up.You can select which folders which you want to backup, perhaps an entire HDD It then monitors these folders for changes and does an automatic backup. whilst your computer is on. You don't need to intervene in the process in any way.

I'm  a bit of a "belt  and braces man". I also use A NAS with RAID 5

I hope this helps.

It does thanks for the info. 

#5 neuronic

neuronic

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2016 - 10:10 PM

Here are my thoughts on this topic.

I like complete backups that are recoverable and that are not metered when it is time to recover. I feel that also bare metal is the way to go for me. What that means is that if my computer is lost or stolen I can purchase a computer of about the same make and pull down my entire operating system | applications | configurations - everything and start working again (So system state and system disk). I should be able to do this as fast as my ISP will let me - which is not the case for products like Glacier/Carbonite and others. 

I like bare metal solutions because they take all of the guess work out of it - Did I backup my software keys? Do I have backups of all of the important documents, pictures, videos and will I remember all of the custom configurations I've done to my computer?

The downside is that it can cost more to do it that way. Generally speaking a no hidden fees*, no recovery tax**, non-bandwidth limited cloud solution will run you under $0.35 a gig and you should only have to pay for what you use; none of this 500GB block for x amount of dollars. If you use 140GB you should only have to pay for 140GB. 

There are other benefits to these solutions as well. I have a virtual machine disk image created from my backups daily. If my computer dies I can spin up a copy of it on my server until my new hardware arrives. I also have a local backup to my server/das if I need a quick recovery.

*I have heard of vendors charging people a fee for versioning which I feel should be included. 

**The recovery tax is what happens after you've paid $10.00 a month and then you have a failure and it costs you $300 to get your data back. Many vendors are dishonest about or make their agreements to convoluted so that you do not understand the real costs associate with recovery. They will put a premium on time slots (when you decide to recover), on how much a day you can recover and on just about everything else you can imagine to make back the low initial price. 

I don't know if the solution you are asking about is like that though. 

Edited by neuronic, 02 March 2016 - 10:13 PM.

#6 tealover

tealover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2016 - 06:04 AM

I can see the benefits of bare metal, which i like and I will read up on  

I was mistaken, with Livedrive. you can  backup data and restore to a new computer if it is stolen or trashed in a fire as it is a cloud backup system. This is obviously it's attraction. 

Let's say you have backed up 5 computers with 5 TB of data. The upload and download cost is irrespective of these amounts, £50 per year.

As to costs,I have this plan BT Infinity 2. from the UK which offers

• Unlimited usage
  • Up to 38 Mb download speed. and 6 Mb upload speed
  • BT NetProtect Plus
  • Unlimited BT Wi-fi minutes
  • 50GB BT Cloud storage
  • BT Parental Controls
  • BT Home Hub 5
  • BT Protect

The BT plan currently costs £ 27.99 / month. In reality Livedrive uploads and downloads at about 1 MB.per second. i have a desktop which has  back up of 2.878 TB by Livedrive. which is very valuable to me as it contains my entire music collection.

#7 tealover

tealover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 05:41 PM

I'm not keen to post to my own threads, but here's the bad news from Livedrive

They now charge resellers £100 per month for a 5 TB account. The implication is simple, they would be forced to pass on these costs to their clients, a 3 TB account costing £60 per month, obviously ridiculous.A friend of mine, an enterprising computer consultant with his own company has developed his own cloud storage system. He's a true genius

http://www.cheshirecomputerrepairs.co.uk/

#8 neuronic

neuronic

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2016 - 10:53 PM

I rely on IASO for my workstations and servers and it is what I sell to my clients. In fact if a client isn't willing to backup their server in a way I have never seen fail I recommend a competitor. 

I cannot take a risk that a backup doesn't recover.. I've restored entire virtualized server farms using IASO and to me it is totally worth the expense. 

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 25 June 2016 - 05:28 PM

from www.iaso.com, this snippit:

"...IASO is one of the leading brands in Hybrid Cloud Backup, Disaster Recovery Software and cloud storage for managed services providers (MSPs), large enterprises, telecommunication- and hosting providers..."

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#10 tealover

tealover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 10:26 AM

Crashplan, unlimited backup, Crashplan individual for$59.99, cheap and cheerful, US based using US servers. I tried the subscription version after trialing. I wouldn't recommend it as I had problems and the technical support was atrocious.

I now use Crashplan PROe available from http://www.ceejay.com/

This version has more features than the individual version

Whist it is more expensive servers are Netherlands based and telephone support is UK based. So far so good

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users