Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Open Flash Drive After Improper Eject

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rokittman

rokittman

• Members
  • 215 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:12 AM

Hi guys,

The title says it all. I inadvertently yank a 32GB memory stick out of it's port while it was still transferring files. Now when I click on it, or try to do a right click-properties, Explore just hangs. The progress meter at the top loads up but never completes and eventually Explorer just crashes. And it won't show any right-click menu.

I've tried plugging it into different ports both on the hub and the computer. I even tried adding a virtual drive with Alcohol 120% thinking that if Windows is forced to rename the flash drive, it might recover. Nothing worked.

I'm not too concerned about saving the data on the drive. Mostly just want to get it working again. This is a brand new drive and this was it's maiden voyage.

Thanx for any help you can provide.

- Dean -

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 02 March 2016 - 12:39 PM

Have you tried reformatting the flash drive?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Kelz Clive

Kelz Clive

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:19 PM

Try it on another computer.

#4 rokittman

rokittman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 215 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:53 PM

Have you tried reformatting the flash drive?

As I said above, no context menu is visible when I right click. Anytime I click on the flash drives letter, Explorer just hangs.

Try it on another computer.

I'll give that a try. Thank you.

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:16 AM

Now when I click on it, or try to do a right click-properties, Explore just hangs. The progress meter at the top loads up but never completes and eventually Explorer just crashes. And it won't show any right-click menu.

Follow the instructions here: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/format-drive-run-check-disk-using-cmd

#6 Anubis4272

Anubis4272

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2016 - 11:21 AM

Since you do not need the files you can format it without using the Context menu.

try the following.

right click on the "This PC" or "My PC" in the menu select if possible Manage or Manage Drive .

once that opens look to the right and select Disk Management under Computer Management window. 

Find the drive right click on it and select format if possible.

this should help it is possible the drive is gone as well. 

#7 rokittman

rokittman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 215 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2016 - 01:25 PM

None of these commands work in DOS. It just says Invalid Directory or returns a blank cursor.

#8 rokittman

rokittman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 215 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2016 - 01:35 PM

Since you do not need the files you can format it without using the Context menu.

try the following.

right click on the "This PC" or "My PC" in the menu select if possible Manage or Manage Drive .

once that opens look to the right and select Disk Management under Computer Management window. 

Find the drive right click on it and select format if possible.

this should help it is possible the drive is gone as well. 

When the flash drive is plugged into a USB port, the Disc Management information never displays.

#9 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2016 - 02:03 PM

None of these commands work in DOS. It just says Invalid Directory or returns a blank cursor.

Then, I'm afraid you'll have to buy a new flash drive.

#10 Kelz Clive

Kelz Clive

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:33 PM

At this point as long as the data was not needed, time to buy a new flash drive. If it's a personal gain, you can always try partition software that will help you either recover or repair the corrupt partition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users