Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 wayne_uk

wayne_uk

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 31 July 2006 - 09:52 PM

Hi,
I have windows 98se, and a mate of mine has XP home, he has changed his operating system to linux after formating his drive to get rid of all traces of xp and a lot of other problems, he has offered me his xp disc (it is an original).
the advice i need is, if i bought it could i use it, also he is not sure where the original packaging is with the key code, i don't want to waste my money if i can't use it, either way i am upgrading to xp
I welcome your input
wayne

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2006 - 11:19 PM

If he ever authenticated it on his computer it will be difficult to transfer it to another computer. Even for a retail version I am not sure rights are transferable to another owner to install on a different computer. If it came preinstalled by a major manufacturer on his computer or is an OEM version it cannot be transfered at all under any circumstances.

I would get the key from him and call Microsoft and see wthat they say.

Whether or not you can even install XP at all depends if the hardware and bios on your computer will support XP.

Transfering XP to another computer
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#06

s your computer able to support Win XP

Get Step-by-Step InformationReview the "Getting Started" guide, which provides essential information on upgrading to and installing Windows XP. Remember to run antivirus software before you upgrade as described in this Knowledge Base article.

Check Your System Requirements

Make sure your computer is ready for Windows XP.

Find Out If You Qualify for an Upgrade

Check to see if your current version of Windows is eligible for an upgrade to Windows XP.

Make Sure Your Hardware and Software Are Compatible

Use the compatibility search tool or download the Upgrade Advisor to make sure your system, devices, and software will work with Windows XP, and install updates if available.

Get Step-by-Step Information

Review the "Getting Started" guide, which provides essential information on upgrading to and installing Windows XP. Remember to run antivirus software before you upgrade as described in this Knowledge Base article.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/up...ng/default.mspx

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 01 August 2006 - 01:28 AM

According to this, you'll probably need to contact MS and they'll decide whether you're a criminal or not :thumbsup: .

#4 wayne_uk

wayne_uk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2006 - 05:01 AM

Enthusiast,
It's a shop bought original and he used it on his computer and authenticated it, he is still looking for the key,
as far as i know my computer will run XP (it's newer than his) also my operating system is 98SE so hopefuly it should not be a problem. i never thought about the hardware compatibility aspect,
thanks for the advice guys,
i'm glad we don't have this problem when you sell a car, lol
have fun
wayne

Andrew if they go on looks i have no chance, lol

Edited by wayne_uk, 01 August 2006 - 05:03 AM.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2006 - 08:42 AM

The original licensee holds the license on a retail copy - a copy bought from a licensed Microsoft retailer at retail that originally came with support from Microsoft -
If it was a custom made computer, and they used an OEM version to install Windows, it is probably not transferable to any other computer.

The key number can be gotten by downloading Keyfinder from magicaljellybean.com (you have to download it on the computer that has the Windows installation of course)

I suggest you buy a retail copy. Check the sales at the big box stores.
I saw Bestbuy selling Windows XP home a couple of months ago for $89.95 but I have also seen new computers, although on the puny side compared to others today, ie Semperons or Celerons instead of Athlons or P4s, onboard video, etc, come with XP preinstalled for as little as $199 (tigerdirect.com last night)

What are the specs of the computer that you want to put it on, and do you want Home or Pro? If your computer is a few years old it may make more sense to buy a new one with XP included because even the basic PCs today will be based on new technology, probably more capable then your old current computer if it is more than a few years old.

Retail and upgrade versions of XP should get cheaper as the release of Vista gets closer.

Edited by Enthusiast, 01 August 2006 - 08:47 AM.

#6 wayne_uk

wayne_uk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2006 - 02:59 PM

AMD Athlon XP 2400+2000 MHz
512mb
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X
bios=American Megatrends, version 07.00T
This is the computer i want to put it on, XP home or pro would do, just looking at the second hand option so i can spend on more memory, but if it is going to be a problem then i will have to buy a new copy.
magicaljellybean, unfortunately is not an option, he has formated his drive for Linux (wish he had waited now) lol
thanks for the advice
wayne
ps can you imagine car retailers saying you can.t have the keys to the car because someone else has owned it, motorbike retailers would have a booming buisness,
cheers

#7 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 01 August 2006 - 10:17 PM

just adding my 2 cents. Enthusiast's suggestion of using MJB Keyfinder will work only if your friend has XP installed on his computer. you mentioned previously that he installed linux to replace any trace of XP, so I dn't know if the method will work.

As for installing it on your own computer, your best bet will be to contact Microsoft and see what they say. I wouldn't trust your legal matters to a bunch of online helpers, it's best to get the facts straight from the company in this case.

Edited by .Prodigy., 01 August 2006 - 10:17 PM.

Posted Image

#8 wayne_uk

wayne_uk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2006 - 03:01 PM

cheers guys,
when i have time i will phone Microsoft and ask them.
I'll post the answer when i get it,
I wonder if this will be a bigger problem as more people switch to vista and put there xp copies up for sale, i hope Microsoft have plenty of phone lines
have fun
wayne

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2006 - 06:17 PM

There are plenty of copies of XP for sale and MS has put out warnings that most will not work because they are OEM copies licensed to the computer and not transferable.

How to tell if MS Software is genuine
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/faq.mspx

#10 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 02 August 2006 - 09:27 PM

You can always use the XP disk for a backup install disk. If it was full version, it may be transferrable. It's common practice to put the sticker with the Windows key on the side of the computer, though I sometimes put it on the back of the computer if there's room. Since the disk comes wrapped with cellophane and the sticker is meant to be peeled and stuck on the computer, it's foolish to leave the thing in a drawer somewhere or lose it, but I'm sure it happens all the time. As mentioned by the other posters, the OEM version is cheaper than the full version and is not transferable - it goes with the motherboard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users