Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Video, BIOS beep code

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Brian113

Brian113

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 02 March 2016 - 01:21 AM

Hi everyone!

Here's what happened: I was using my computer as normal with no hardware issues. One day I booted it up and heard a long beep with 3 short beeps and no video. I checked the manual for my Asus P6T motherboard and this code means it doesn't recognize VGA. I have two Nvidia 9800 GTX in my computer, so I took one out and tried it in both PCI-E slots, then did the same with the other, and I get the same beep code. To be safe, I went down from 12 GB of RAM to 4 just in case. Same thing. This happened out of no where. No hardware changes, lots of air flow, no dust clogging anything up. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.​

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:28 PM

Please list all specs. Mobo, cpu, etc.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 Brian113

Brian113
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2016 - 10:08 PM

Sorry.

Mobo: Asus P6T

12 GB Ram

i7 920 processor

1.5 TB HDD

2x Nvidia 9800 GTX video cards in SLI

#4 WebWalker67

WebWalker67

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:52 PM

Try to reset the BIOS by remove the CMOS battery for at least 5 min.

#5 Brian113

Brian113
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 05:20 PM

Alright, so I reset the BIOS and tried another video card. Looks like my two 9800 bit the dust at the same time. Not sure what happened. I tired another video card and it works. But now I have a second issue. Since I reset my BIOS, now windows won't load. I have windows 7. It comes up to the starting windows screen then reboots. I've had this before. I think it has something to do with AHCI. Before the BIOS clear it was enabled. I re-enabled it but still getting the same thing. Last time I had to reformat in order to get everything back up and going again. Anyone have any suggestions?

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,885 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 14 March 2016 - 01:09 PM

If you have the install disk for the OS, boot to it and do a REPAIR.  It will hunt down the needed drivers and get the OS running again.  It doesn't affect any user files, just the OS and the needed drivers for the hardware found, even if the hardware has changed,  BUT the identification on the install disk and the hard drive have to match.

#7 Brian113

Brian113
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:38 PM

Tried that. No dice. I even ran bootfix. Same thing... Do I have any options other an reformatting? I can backup my data, but it's just annoying to do it.

#8 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,885 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 18 March 2016 - 04:13 PM

I can't see any other options.  I would remove the hard drive and see if it can be accessed using another machine to remove critical files before reformatting.  If you had the install disk, it would onlyNEED a REPAIR, but the numbers on the disk and on the OS that's presently installed have to match, it would boot and find the appropriate drivers (video) for the hardware that is detected.  You'd be up and running in an hour. I always buy the OS so I always have the chance to repair after a hardware failure.  You could build a whole new machine, drop the drive in and it would find the drivers and get the OS going again.

#9 Brian113

Brian113
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 12:46 PM

I do have the original install disk. The video is working now, it's just that windows isn't booting. Repair didn't work. Looks like a-way I go backing up and formatting. Thanks everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users