Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intermittent Random System Freeze

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bloodyharbinger

bloodyharbinger

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 01 March 2016 - 08:17 PM

I recently finished my new gaming system build and after about 2-3 months, have been having intermittent freezes.

Freeze

• No BSOD
  • No slowness or other indicators that it is about to happen
  • Everything simply freezes in place
  • Sound if playing stops
  • No response to input from keyboard or mouse
  • Fans continue to run
  • No smell or smoke from computer

Symptoms

This happens maybe 3-4 times a week and has no reason (that I can tell). Computer can be on for an hour or over 24. It appears to happen more often during heavy game play, but that could just be an appearance as it is the most frustrating time for it to happen. After a system freeze there are no windows event logs that indicate a problem, only that the computer recovered. Though to be fair I am not a pro at reading the finer details of said logs. I have also had no luck running my memory with XMP enabled which causes the crash to occur much faster. The memory does support XMP though.

Specs

Win 7 64bit SP1

i7 5820K

16GB Corsair Vengeance memory

MSI X99A Gaming 7

2x MSI Nvidia GTX980 Ti

3x SSD (2- 128GB and 1- 500GB)

2 HDD (250GB and 750GB)

Attached

Event logs from today for the crash that most recently occurred

Speccy snapshot of my system

I have done a bit of light searching and found a user who had what appeared to be the same issue and followed along there and in the end found that it was a bad component, but only after it failed hard. So I am still at a loss on what else to do. Let me know what information is needed and I will be happy to get it.

Thanks for any help!

Edit: Realized there was more info in the speccy doc then i felt comfortable with. Here is a link with the details removed- http://speccy.piriform.com/results/OMkywKkzlFwB6xKVaZggQxV

Attached Files

Edited by bloodyharbinger, 01 March 2016 - 08:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hydroque

Hydroque

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2016 - 09:03 PM

Clean your PC with air can and electronic safe vacuum. Make sure you get under the motherboard. If the problem still persists, try disabling certain components by removing them. If you can't isolate the problem still, try other parts from other computers. It may be a bad component -the first thing to do is try another motherboard. If you are unable to do the requested stuff, take the computer in to a computer store.

#3 WebWalker67

WebWalker67

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 01 March 2016 - 10:39 PM

What is the CPU temperature while it is fully stress?

Download HWmonitor to get CPU temp :-

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Run Prime95 to stress your system :-

http://www.mersenne.org/download/

#4 bloodyharbinger

bloodyharbinger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2016 - 12:05 AM

Hydroque- Will try that thanks.

WebWalker67- Temps from what I can tell are pretty normal, but I haven't considered that. Will check on it.

Side note- I did run memtest for 4 hours without any failures.

#5 bloodyharbinger

bloodyharbinger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2016 - 01:03 AM

What is the CPU temperature while it is fully stress?

Download HWmonitor to get CPU temp :-

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Run Prime95 to stress your system :-

http://www.mersenne.org/download/

So I ran the tests and none of the temps went over 60 but the first time i had a failure within 5 minutes and the second time a different core failed testing at 11 minutes.

Pretty sure this is a problem. Does this 100% mean that the CPU is the problem? Any advise next steps would be greatly appreciated.

FYI- No freeze during this time. Only freeze for today was hours ago.

Edited by bloodyharbinger, 02 March 2016 - 01:04 AM.

#6 WebWalker67

WebWalker67

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 02 March 2016 - 02:43 AM

Did you overclocked your system?

#7 bloodyharbinger

bloodyharbinger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2016 - 10:25 AM

Did you overclocked your system?

The only overclocking I have done followed as such-

Day 2 after building and testing everything I enabled XMP profile 2 for my memory. Freeze about 20 minutes after full boot to windows. Disabled it

Day 4 after build- tried to use the O.C. Genie button on the motherboard. Freeze almost in the first 5 minutes after a full boot to windows. Disabled it.

Week 2- my last attempt enable XMP profile 1 (less intense). This worked for almost a day before a freeze, but i disabled it anyway.

Haven't tried any other overclock since then. Important note is that the freeze I had when I did this is exactly the same freeze I get now. So my assumption is that the small OC just make the problem more apparent rather then be the cause of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users