Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Whats a good, free automatic driver installer?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 IIxKnight

IIxKnight

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 01 March 2016 - 06:52 PM

Hello, as the title says, "whats a good automatic driver installer"

i do a lot of windows reinstalls, and sometimes multiple at once,  and always manually download the drivers from the manufacturers website, which can be quite time consuming.
Would be good if one exists that once i download the drivers, it stores it, rather then downloading again in the future. ( an offline installer )

Sorry if this topic has been created before, im new to the website.
Thanks in advance.

Edited by hamluis, 02 March 2016 - 11:48 AM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to All Other Applications - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hydroque

Hydroque

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:10 PM

You should have multiple softwares for this. In intel machines, they have specific driver look ups which are free. Windows update usually can detect which drivers need installing, you could just keep a list of drivers you need.

I doubt you can find a driver updator that isnt malware.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,592 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:14 PM

This pretty much sums up my views on driver update software.

http://www.howtogeek.com/198758/never-download-a-driver-updating-utility-theyre-worse-than-useless/

#4 Hydroque

Hydroque

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:16 PM

[quote name="JohnC_21" post="3947543" timestamp="1456877684"]This pretty much sums up my views on driver update software.

http://www.howtogeek.com/198758/never-download-a-driver-updating-utility-theyre-worse-than-useless/[/quote

Quite.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,237 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:46 AM

As indicated above by members...there is no need at all for any "driver installer program".

Drivers do not require "updating" continuously, as Windows does.  The Windows updates are for security purposed primarily...while any working driver is a good driver.  If the user never has any problems with the device/function/component...there is never any need to even consider a "driver update."

When a device/function/component gives evidence of having a problem that impairs functionality...that would probably be the time to uninstall the current driverss for that function and install either a version of the old drivers which worked or an updated driver.  If you have an OEM (Dell, Lenovo, et alia) system, you should get drivers from the system manufacturer's website.

Louis

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 02 March 2016 - 12:55 PM

Not only will these programs try to tell you that your drivers are out of date, they will indiscriminately suggest driver downloads from sites not associated with the manufacturer of the original drivers.  All drivers should be downloaded from the manufacturer's website.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,803 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:03 PM

I'll just add my 2 cents that concurs with prior offerings:  There is no such thing as a good free driver installer.  In fact, there is no such thing as a good, paid driver installer.

dc3 is absolutely correct that you should download drivers only from your computer manufacturer and/or from the manufacturer of the specific piece of hardware (e.g., video card, etc.) that you may have installed in your system.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:13 PM

One more thing, automatic driver/software updaters also cause another problem; if a driver/software updater is set to automatic, sometimes a free version of a program or utility gets replaced with a newer version, a trial version of a must-pay-for version which has replaced the formerly free forever version.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#9 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2016 - 11:00 AM

I'll add my 2 cents worth and just say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".  It's very infrequent that driver updates are needed, but occasionally it does happen.  I have a 2 month old laptop that was having intermittent WiFi problems that needed a driver update from Dell (they recommended it and it fixed my problem).  I think it's best to only download drivers from your computer's manufacturer because even though you might find seemingly compatible ones elseware, it's entirely possible that your computer's manufacturer made some changes that only their drivers fully support.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#10 belthagor

belthagor

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2016 - 02:46 PM

Whenever I tried to look for these, it was always a virus. Be careful.

I'm surprised you had to do this, because if you are using the same windows version that came with your computer... and you have all of the original hardware plugged in, it should install drivers by itself, it was meant to be able to do recovery without an internet connection needed.

If this is external hardware, maybe you could get the driver from the manufacturers website, and put it on a flash drive? For example if it was a logitech camera, they have all of the drivers directly on their main site, a lot don't though...

#11 zod1

zod1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 05:40 AM

Well I believe all above posters are like 90% right but sometimes I do use this one https://drp.su It's not perfect (don't use auto-install software features) but it usually gets the job done okay

#12 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 12:04 PM

One more thing, automatic driver/software updaters also cause another problem; if a driver/software updater is set to automatic, sometimes a free version of a program or utility gets replaced with a newer version, a trial version of a must-pay-for version which has replaced the formerly free forever version.

I have to correct my own earlier comment!  I am wrong if all that is involved is an automatic driver utility.  I can only be correct if that utility also included a software program updater.  Earlier PSI version 2 [that I used some time ago] definitely did both drivers and software programs.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users