Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC battery "plugged in not charging"

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 El Boyero

El Boyero

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 01 March 2016 - 05:40 PM

I´m using Windows 7 Ultimate in a Lenovo IdeaPad S10-3 after upgrading from Windows Starter. Since a few days ago when I check the battery icon the message "plugged in not charging" appears. I have checked in internet, including Microsoft support, about this issue which I could see is very common in many PC using Windows 7. Microsoft recommends disabling or uninstalling some applications in Device Manager but , when it works, solves the problem for a while and later you get the same issue. I would like to know and will appreciate if some of you members of this forum, have had this issue and how repair it. I will appreciate your help.

Edited by hamluis, 02 March 2016 - 11:26 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hydroque

Hydroque

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2016 - 09:08 PM

It could be because your battery is consuming more than it should. Stop like almost all processes and see if it is still charging. If it is not still, check if the battery gets charged while it's off. In this case, your computer components are running higher than your charger charges. You can reduce the amount they run on in BIOS, but you should really use a charger rated for your computer. I gunning you are using one that isn't specific to the computer or its a replacement. A program to help you do the above is razor game booster.

#3 El Boyero

El Boyero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:50 AM

Thanks, I´m using the original charger. The issue started when using the original battery and the battery does not charge while the computer is off.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 02 March 2016 - 12:47 PM

This computer was first released in 2008.  

How old is this computer?

Is this the original battery?

What exactly is the error message?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 El Boyero

El Boyero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:58 AM

Thanks!!. The computer was bought in 2010, the error message at the battery icon is: "plugged, not charging", and it happens both with the original battery and with a brand new battery.

#6 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2016 - 02:15 PM

Are you using Lenovo Energy Management?

#7 El Boyero

El Boyero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2016 - 06:10 PM

Are you using Lenovo Energy Management?

No, I normally use Windows energy Mgmt., but  sometimes I have installed and used Lenovo EM and have the same issue

#8 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:42 PM

Okay.  If you used Lenovo Energy Management, it's possible you changed one of the settings to "Best battery health".  See figure 6 here.  When this setting is selected, your battery will stop charging when it reaches a pre-determined percentage.  If you then hover over the battery icon, you will see the message "plugged in, not charging".  It should be a simple matter to install Lenovo EM and check the setting in question.

#9 El Boyero

El Boyero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2016 - 07:28 AM

Okay.  If you used Lenovo Energy Management, it's possible you changed one of the settings to "Best battery health".  See figure 6 here.  When this setting is selected, your battery will stop charging when it reaches a pre-determined percentage.  If you then hover over the battery icon, you will see the message "plugged in, not charging".  It should be a simple matter to install Lenovo EM and check the setting in question.

Thanks a lot, the installed version of Lenovo Energy Mgmnt. in this and other "old" PCs is not updated and it doesn´t contain the "best battery health" option. I have tried to to download and install the 6.0 version but it´s not recommended for this model. That is a big problem with Lenovo, they only update recent models and they don´t care about older ones, for that many people, including me, would never buy again another Lenovo product. Appreciate your help.

Edited by El Boyero, 04 March 2016 - 11:14 AM.

#10 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2016 - 12:49 PM

That is a big problem with Lenovo, they only update recent models and they don´t care about older ones, for that many people, including me, would never buy again another Lenovo product.

Yes, that's a problem with owning a Lenovo.  Sorry you couldn't fix the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users