Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ISO expander for mac - assist to recover files on dead PC

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 pbeagle

pbeagle

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 29 February 2016 - 03:18 PM

As I wrote in the security forum, an attempt to scan the 8 mos old acer aspire "craptop"resulted in a very bad day for me. No Bootable Disk Found. 

It's windows 8 original, but I think I had 8.1 updated. Acer is giving me the run around so if it is a HDD failure, I have a bigger problem.

I can access the boot menu via F2. I have NO idea what settings should be what. None. Zero. AND I am afraid to touch anything.

I NEED those files and that laptop even if it is a craptop. Actually, I loved it until now. I don't know how to do anything to get those files, set the right options in that boot menu or get the machine running again. I could likely find a way to do the whole recovery part but it will wipe out any files that may remain. 

So... please help me. I cannot afford to pay someone to do this for me. I have just had the month from hell and just have nothing left.. next month won't make up for this one... I will be months behind for a while.

Can I do this myself? Should I? 

• check settings etc in  the boot menu or whatever it's called
  • get the files off it
  • reinstall windows or test the drive or whatever it is I have to do

Can anyone help with this? SHOULD I try this myself? I can follow clear instructions but things like "diags on the blah blah blah with a SDT5MPI" will mean nothing to me. If there is a setting I have to know exactly what is should be. If there is a step that seems too obvious, don't assume it's too obvious.

all serious help appreciated

Bleepingcomputer is a great site for online support.

Sadly, the issue I had wasn't solved, but most people who offered help

were very friendly and extremely patient.

Make it your aim to do something that will benefit another living being who may  not have the ability to repay the kindness. It doesn't take a lot, a mountain is not scaled in one giant leap, it is conquered one small step at a time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 29 February 2016 - 07:30 PM

If I understand you correctly, at the moment you have a non-booting computer from which as a first step you want to recover important data. the first step is to recover the data, not try to test the disc or consider a factory re-set. Testing the disc stresses it and can cause failure; resetting will wipe all your data !

Possibly the simplest way to do this is by means of a CD with Puppy Linux on it. Puppy creates a self booting CD which then starts a form of Linux running entirely in RAM - it has no impact on your hard drive. Once it is running you will see an icon for your hard drive which you need to click on to 'mount' it (ie make it accessible). You can download Puppy from here as well as the instructions on how to use it -

http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

You download Puppy as an ISO file and if your computer has a CD/DVD drive then you need to burn the ISO to a disc. Note that you will need to use something like 'ImageBurn' to expand the ISO to the individual files and folders as part of the burning process. Alternatively, you can use 7-Zip, or similar, to 'unpack' the various contents and then burn them to a CD using a standard burner.

If your non-working computer does NOT have an optical drive, there is an application called RUFUS which will do the same job of recording but to a memory stick. If you need this, post back and you will get an explanation.

Once you have 'mounted' your hard drive, assuming it is still working, you will be able to use the Puppy file manager to transfer your data files to external storage and safety before you do anything else.

I admit the above is a fairly brief description of the process, if you need further clarification or explanation, post back.

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 29 February 2016 - 07:32 PM.

#3 pbeagle

pbeagle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 10:33 PM

I am SO happu to see this response. Uou have no idea... I feel sick right about now. 

So, ues, you got it exactly right. The first and most important part is the file retrieval. I want to attempt to reset the drive but not until I have those files. If the drive itself has damage or something else mechanical, Acer has relented and I can have it repaired under warranty.

So, ues, getting files.

Ok... the laptop does not have an optical drive internally, but I have a USB drive/burner.  Please forgive me if I misunderstand or need explanation.

Which of the things is better/safer/easiest...puppy or rufus? Since I can do either one

You download Puppy as an ISO file and if your computer has a CD/DVD drive then you need to burn the ISO to a disc. Note that you will need to use something like 'ImageBurn' to expand the ISO to the individual files and folders as part of the burning process. Alternatively, you can use 7-Zip, or similar, to 'unpack' the various contents and then burn them to a CD using a standard burner.

I don't understand the ISO part... so.. I go to that link and download the puppy iso file and burn it to a cd?

And... um... the expander apps... are they workable on iMac? I am using the mac to write this. So, I have to use the mac to make cd's or whatever else.

So, would I be expanding puppy on the iMac? I'm confused... because... the cd would be an iso... and it is supposed to be a bootable cd... but if the files aren't expanded on the cd, where are they expanded? It can't be the laptop because I can't download an expander to that at this point

Or... wait... I download the iso, download an expander.. oh, I probably have one built in on the iMac... expand the files here on the mac and THEN burn the resulting files to a CD? 

THAT makes a lot more sense... sorry, it has been a very, very long day.

So.. then I'd attach the cd drive to the laptop and start it up? It will boot from there?

And once i am in and can mount the HD... I can copy over to external drives?? I won't be able to use the CD burner to back up the files, so I will need to attach/detach drives as I have space on them... I have several smaller drives (500Gb, etc) but they're mostly full of video/audio editing so those files are large. So I have to either move those around (slow over USB and Fw or TB drives don't work on the laptop) or I have to put the lost files wherever they will fit

And this will not mess up the computer as it is now? Or mess it up more I should say...

May I ask... once I have the files... what do I do then? For the laptop to get it going... if I can accomplish a factory reset, is it trustworthy then or how  will I know? you said testing could produce errors... or is that just in the current state? How would I test it? I understand how to use the iMac's disk utility but I forget... oh wait... isn't it properties? I know there's a few tabs but error-checking is one... is that the way to go or is there another better one - for someone like me to use?

Thank you so much for your help. I have start the drive process first... looking for enough space to add the files. I think I have a 1TB drive that has an empty partition on it... (it was an automated partition process... I'd have no idea how to do that) So the rest has to wait until morning... but I feel hopeful for a change.

I will post back as I go and when I get the files etc... fingers crossed!! 

THANK U!!!

Make it your aim to do something that will benefit another living being who may  not have the ability to repay the kindness. It doesn't take a lot, a mountain is not scaled in one giant leap, it is conquered one small step at a time.

#4 pbeagle

pbeagle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2016 - 01:01 PM

Can anyone tell me if iso file converter from softonic (http://en.softonic.com/s/iso-file-converter:mac) is safe? Or some other way to expand the iso file so I can put it on a USB or CD?

#5 pbeagle

pbeagle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2016 - 01:07 PM

I have been posting in security and in win8, concerning a PC laptop that dropped dead while scanning for malware. I don't have a bootable disk currently. Someone has suggested a solution but I need to put puppy linux on a USB or CD/DVD. To do that I have to expand the ISO file that you get when you download puppy.

So, I am working right now on an iMac and I have downloaded the ISO. I need to expand it to put on the USB/DVD

I found a thing called ISO converter on softonic here: http://en.softonic.com/s/iso-file-converter:mac

Is this safe to download and will it do what I want? I don't want to "open" the files once expanded, but I do need to extract/expand them so I can proceed.

It should let me get into the PC without losing the files still there... or I hope are there.

Anyone know about this app/site for safety or have other suggestions?

thanks so much :)

#6 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 01 March 2016 - 01:40 PM

You can not just burn the .ISO to a CD? Macs can do that natively, is there some reason you need to do it differently?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,282 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2016 - 02:40 PM

You do not need to expand the puppy iso. Simply use the iso with Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive.

Run Rufus. Make sure your USB flash drive is listed. Leave all boxes as checked including Quick Format. Select MBR for a partition scheme. Where you see Freedos in the dropdown box select iso image. Click on the small folder icon and browse to the Puppy Linux iso file. Press Start.

Back up any info on the flash drive as it will be erased. 

If you want to burn a bootable CD then use the iso with Imgburn to burn the iso to disk. If you install Imgburn opt out of any programs is offers.

In order to boot a Windows 8 computer with a DVD or USB flash drive you must first disable SecureBoot. Also if it is not enabled then enable the boot menu key of F12.

When you boot tap F12 with the USB flash drive attached or disk in the optical drive. Select your boot device.

Edit: I saw your other post regarding only having a Mac to use for a USB flash drive. There is a program called Unetbootin that is available for the Mac that should work with the Puppy iso file.

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 March 2016 - 02:50 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,282 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2016 - 02:52 PM

I responded to your question in the Windows 8 thread. In regard to using a utility for a Mac to create a bootable USB. You do not need an expander for the iso file as Gorbulan posted. Simply burn the iso to disk as shown in this guide.

http://lifehacker.com/251758/mac-tip--how-to-burn-an-iso-or-dmg-file-to-disc

#9 pbeagle

pbeagle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2016 - 04:41 PM

You can not just burn the .ISO to a CD? Macs can do that natively, is there some reason you need to do it differently?

I have no idea... and given that I have screwed the PC up in just doing a scan, I need to ask. 

#10 dante12

dante12

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 01 March 2016 - 05:27 PM

You can try from this article

Don't download anything from Softonic. Many Software there is bundled with Adware.

#11 pbeagle

pbeagle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2016 - 09:03 PM

I responded to your question in the Windows 8 thread. In regard to using a utility for a Mac to create a bootable USB. You do not need an expander for the iso file as Gorbulan posted. Simply burn the iso to disk as shown in this guide.

http://lifehacker.com/251758/mac-tip--how-to-burn-an-iso-or-dmg-file-to-disc

I'm sorry. I asked there but since the other person hadn't responded to the other questions, I decided to ask here. I know how most people aren't "bi" between the mac/pc

so will the iso be abe to operate as a boot disk? I've not had any cause to use iso for anything and I have never had to do a boot via usb from another OS before

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,282 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2016 - 09:07 PM

Yes, the boot disk you create from the iso file will boot from the Windows 8 computer. You need to disable SecureBoot. Copying files is a little different in Puppy. Put in the other thread you have a good link on how to do it. If you have any questions on using Puppy, post them in the other thread.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,588 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2016 - 09:51 PM

To avoid confusion, I have merged the other topic with this one.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#14 pbeagle

pbeagle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2016 - 10:31 PM

To avoid confusion, I have merged the other topic with this one.

where?

Please. I am getting very confused. I don't know what secure boot is... I cannot access anything on the pc. Nothing. One member told me to get puppy or rufus. I read up on puppy and it can be booted from a usb as well as a cd/dvd. So if the iso will boot the laptop for me, why would I need to go to rufus instead? Is there a reason that isn't a personal choice or hard to follow?

I thought all I had to do was put puppy on the usb and it would boot the pc... I could connect to the drive then and get the files loaded onto an external drive. 

I don't see the rest of the other thread. I asked on the other thread because the member had offered to answer questions. When I didn't hear back (I think he's in Scotland?) I figured that I ought to ask the mac question here so I'd get an answer quickly

I really need to start this as soon as possible. This is the primary computer for things that make up the only income I have. I cannot sit at a desktop iMac for more than an hour without intense pain. That's why i have the laptop. If I can't get these files I would have to find enough money to pau someone to do it for me. I don't HAVE that cash. I need that pc... the repair shop said $80 and I wouldn't have it for 2-3 days.

but what is secureboot? Where is it? How do I disabled it? What does it mean that transfer of files is a bit different in puppy? Different how? I can't even think. If I start this I cannot have some surprise happen... I can't have a bunch of settings or options that I am supposed to deal with if I don't know exactly what they are and how to set them.

I'm going to be sick... I am so screwed

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,282 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2016 - 11:19 PM

See my links in Post #7 on how to disable Secure Boot. Rufus is used with an iso to create a bootable USB flash drive. If you burn an iso to a DVD then Rufus is not necessary.

SecureBoot was implemented by Microsoft to prevent rootkit malware infection. If it does not see a digital signature on the install media it will not boot the media. Only Windows 8 and 10 have the digital signatures on their install disks. Windows 7 does not so it is required that SecureBoot be disabled. For your convenience I included the links below showing how to disable SecureBoot and enable the F12 boot menu.

If you are not comfortable doing this then it may be better to have someone help you.

http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27071/~/how-to-enable-or-disable-secure-boot

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3182/~/why-cant-i-get-the-f12-boot-menu-to-work-on-my-notebook-or-netbook%3F

Puppy is linux based and you may find it difficult to navigate. You may have better luck with Hiren's CD which you can download here. Unzip the file to get the iso. Burn the iso to a CD on the Mac.

Here is a video on it's use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users