Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Attaching an office 365 email to outlook 2010

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 seg42

seg42

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 01 March 2016 - 10:59 AM

We are in the middle of moving from a local exchange server to using Microsoft hosted mail. Currently, both our local mail and office 365 mail are active. As an intermediary step, I am attaching both accounts to our current version of outlook (2010), so that people can move mail through Outlook at their own pace. So far, I've set this up a dozen times with minimal issues, but I have run into a strange problem.

One user's outlook fails repeatedly to add the account. It acts like it's working fine, but when outlook requests the password, my user types it in, and the box requesting the password pops up again. If told to cancel, an error pops up, stating that the exchange server cannot be found, and that outlook needs to be online. I neglected to get the complete message, but that is the gist.

The same email can be setup on a different machine, and the password is correct because it was used to set up one drive on the same machine. I even tried creating a new mail profile, but it also had issues. The problem has to be with that installation of outlook, specifically, and possibly the user profile. This user has had a lot of issues with their outlook before, sometimes due to data size issues (too many names in the junk list, just flat too much email, period).

They currently have a lot of .pst archived folders attached to outlook as a compromise to keeping the inbox small, and I'm wondering if this could have any impact. Has anyone heard of this problem, or have any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 seg42

seg42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 01 March 2016 - 02:27 PM

Never mind. I kind of answered my own question after I thought about it.

FYI: Even if the main profile is under 2 GB, if all the open data files exceed a certain size (I'm not sure how much, but this was over 6 GB) it will not add a new profile. I closed the other data files and was then able to add the new email without issue. After restarting outlook, I was able to reopen the other data files, and all seems to be well now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users