Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC knocking wifi out?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sharkstertheshark

sharkstertheshark

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 01 March 2016 - 10:00 AM

Hello, I am having so very bizarre Wi-fi problems. The ISP knows of this problem but has been out several times and it is still not fixed and I have started to look at my machine. Whenever I get onto my PC, the two blue lights are knocked out and I am connected but without internet, sometimes after a short while ill have my internet back again. During this time I can connect via phone to local wifi but PC is still a no. I have troubleshot and it is saying I am missing Windows Socket Protocols. Could I get some here?

Edited by sharkstertheshark, 01 March 2016 - 10:01 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 01 March 2016 - 10:57 AM

There are know problems with Wifi and Windows 10. 

You can try resetting Winsock and TCP/IP. It may or may not help. 

Open an elevated command prompt. Press the Windows key + X. cmd as admin

type

netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip C:\resetlog.txt

Reboot and see if that helps.

What is the make and model of the computer? Was this an upgrade from a previous OS like Windows 7 or 8?

If not, right click your wireless adapter in Device Manager. Select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and post the first line.

#3 sharkstertheshark

sharkstertheshark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 02 March 2016 - 10:02 AM

There are know problems with Wifi and Windows 10. 

You can try resetting Winsock and TCP/IP. It may or may not help. 

Open an elevated command prompt. Press the Windows key + X. cmd as admin

type

netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip C:\resetlog.txt

Reboot and see if that helps.

What is the make and model of the computer? Was this an upgrade from a previous OS like Windows 7 or 8?

If not, right click your wireless adapter in Device Manager. Select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and post the first line.

I did that and rebooted and that did the trick.  I switched to 10 from 8 and there has been severe wifi problems with it ever since.

#4 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 02 March 2016 - 10:56 AM

I have a 2 month old Dell laptop that has an Intel wireless AC 3160 WiFi adapter that was having similar problems.  Then yesterday I found out that Dell had posted an updated driver on its site.  I downloaded the driver and installed it, and so far it seems to've resolved the problem I was having.  YMMV.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users