Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ALiveNF5-eSATA2+ compatibility with cheap HD memory

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dr_Fell

dr_Fell

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 01 March 2016 - 08:52 AM

I am looking for a low-cost upgrade of my few years old desktop machine.
It runs Phenom II 965 CPU on ALiveNF5-eSATA2+ mobo from Asrock. Currently I have 4GB ram (2x Twinmos Twister and 2x Geil Ultra - set to CL5 both, DDR2 800).
It is quite enough for my Linux, but recently I am doing some photo - editing and I need to do it on Windows. And it appears my 4GB ram is not enough anymore...

So, I found those cheap memory modules sold by korean/chinese sellers and I thought, why not? But after doing some research I found that this memory has compatibility problems with some motherboards (mainly intel). Some sources say, that such memory can only work with ATI/Via/Sis/AMD chipset, so I am bit worried that this memory will not work for me. (As my mobo has nforce5 chipset). Other sources says, memory controller is in CPU, so it should work with any Phenom II mobo. My motherboard supported 8GB RAM at the date of release (no Phenom II ATM), but after it got new bios, with Phenom II support, it can support 16GB RAM now.

Could anyone help me a bit with that?

My mobo description:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/NVIDIA/ALiveNF5-eSATA2+/

Memory:

http://www.hynix.com/datasheet/eng/module/details/module_08_HYMP125U64CP8.jsp

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Hynix-8GB-2x-4GB-DDR2-800-PC2-6400-Desktop-DIMM-memory-AMD-CPU-motherboard-/181787430088?hash=item2a53600cc8:g:~tMAAOSwPcVVj9Ub&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hynix-8GB-2X4GB-PC2-6400-DDR2-800Mhz-240pin-Dimm-desktop-Memory-For-AMD-CPU-ONLY/141724724256?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3Decca09f69cdf41f49af22eb0a6a452ff%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D181787430088&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 01 March 2016 - 09:17 AM

Memory controller is on CPU. Also those modules should work. DDR2 modules may have random problems with motherboards and trial/error is only way to tell if there are problems.

#3 dr_Fell

dr_Fell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2016 - 09:27 AM

Thank You for such fast answer. If You say it could work, I will try to contact the seller and depending on his answer I will buy that memory or I will just upgrade my mobo.

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 01 March 2016 - 09:44 AM

Thank You for such fast answer. If You say it could work, I will try to contact the seller and depending on his answer I will buy that memory or I will just upgrade my mobo.

As said, seller cannot know if it will work. Random problems are random and only way is to test modules with your motherboard. No, even testing with same model motherboard is not enough, must be your motherboard.

So better to ask if you can return memory in case not compatible.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 01 March 2016 - 09:45 AM.

#5 dr_Fell

dr_Fell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2016 - 09:55 AM

Ah, ok. Probably it will be possible to return memory, but postage to Hong-Kong or China will be much higher than this memory price.

#6 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 01 March 2016 - 10:26 AM

If you want another option, go to crucial.com and download the tool they have there & run it.  It will examine your system and make RAM suggestions with prices.  You don't have to buy from them, but at least you'll have a better idea of what your options are.  Personally I'd rather deal with a trusted US company and avoid the hassle.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#7 dr_Fell

dr_Fell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2016 - 10:42 AM

Thanks. I had tried Crucial suggestions for my mobo (I just gave mobo model on their website) and I got very few options. There was no options for 4GB memory modules (2x2GB max), so I guess that Crucial data about my mobo are from before it got upgrade that let it support new CPUs and 16GB total memory.

Second thing is, 2x4GB memory from trusted companies, here in Poland, cost so much atm, that I could buy some DDR3 mobo, 8GB DDR3-1600 (from a trusted company ;) ), and I would still have some money for a good beer. That is why I am choosing between those two options (cheap DDR2 / motherboard upgrade).

#8 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:34 AM

I understand.  I'm sure a good number of things in Poland are very different from here in the USA.  I had no way of knowing where you were since you don't have it in your profile.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users