Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Microsoft unveils new Windows 10 threat protection service", via ZDNet

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 01 March 2016 - 08:24 AM

Microsoft is working on Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection, a new service aimed at enterprises for detecting and responding to advanced attacks.

The client piece of the service will be built into Windows 10, and will be available soon to Windows Insiders as part of a "Redstone" preview test build, officials said.

Microsoft already offers an antivirus service called Windows Defender. It originally was a free download for Windows XP, and is currently built into Windows 10.

Source: http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-unveils-new-windows-10-threat-protection-service/

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 March 2016 - 11:59 AM

Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection is powered by a combination of Windows behavioral sensors, cloud based security analytics, threat intelligence, and by tapping into Microsoft’s intelligent security graph. This immense security graph provides big-data security analytics that look across aggregate behaviors to identify anomalies – informed by anonymous information from over 1 billion Windows devices, 2.5 trillion indexed URLs on the Web, 600 million reputation look-ups online, and over 1 million suspicious files detonated every day.

Source.

Greets!

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2016 - 12:00 PM

Telemetry for the win!  :thumbup2:

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 March 2016 - 12:19 PM

^^ The question is always "Who wins the most?"

And what is telemetry data, did you manage to unencrypt it?

Anyway, I'm glad M$ is at least going to be up-to-date now. Every other AV/AM uses "the same" since years...

I just hope they have a (visible) check mark to option-out?  :whistle:

Greets!

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2016 - 12:23 PM

^^ The question is always "Who wins the most?"
And what is telemetry data, did you manage to unencrypt it?

Anyway, I'm glad M$ is at least going to be up-to-date now. Every other AV/AM uses "the same" since years...

Since "every" Antivirus and Antimalware have been doing the same for years, I guess this is a big win and who cares about the telemetry data since obviously, no one cared enough to ask Antivirus and Antimalware companies back then, but now they will because it's Microsoft? :)

I just hope they have a (visible) check mark to option-out? :whistle:

What's the point of using this service then if you are to opt-out?

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#6 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 March 2016 - 12:33 PM

^^ The check-mark (that choice) is the difference...  :wink:

Greets!

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2016 - 01:01 PM

It's already present in Windows Defender without ATP. Still, there's no point in using that service if you want to disable telemetry, because it basically relies on it.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#8 neuronic

neuronic

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2016 - 09:20 PM

Hi everyone. 

This idea of machine analysis to inform threat detection, performance corrections and malware mitigation automation is pretty sweet. But I think these platforms will only be a strong as the number of endpoints protected by them, being centralized reporters of issues to the analysis engines to provide insight to the entire protected community. It is pretty exciting - but really I want to be to be able to turn it off as well if I choose to 'trust' another vendor with that information instead of the big M. 

Thanks, 

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,905 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2016 - 09:44 PM

Myerson said the company hasn't yet made decisions about which versions of Windows 10 will incorporate the service, though it is for businesses and not consumers.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users