Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[Windows 7]Black screen on startup

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 craygray

craygray

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 01 March 2016 - 06:16 AM

System Details -

Lenovo Y500 Laptop

120GB SSD as windows drive

1TB Drive as storage drive

Problem Details - 

My laptop has been running with no problems at all. This morning I switched it on and after the welcome screen I just get a black screen and it stays there. There is no cursor and no ability to enter task manager

Attempted Repairs -

I've tried booting into all 3 safe modes, low res mode and last good config, which just give me the same blank screen. I've tried startup repair which finds no problems. I've tried running sfc /scannow but it gives me a message saying that "there is a system repair pending" and that the laptop need to restart. I have also run chkdsk (chkdsk C:) on both drives which finds no bad sectors and gives no warnings. I have also tried clearing cmos by removing the battery and power and pressing the power button for 2 minutes. I would use system restore but I stupidly have no restore points.

My only guesses now are that the user profile is corrupt (but this usually gives a message rather than a black screen), the windows installation is corrupt or I have some virus/malware. I'm not sure how to proceed.

Thanks

Edited by craygray, 01 March 2016 - 06:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 01 March 2016 - 09:14 AM

Try enabling the built-in Administrator account and see if you can get into that:  https://www.google.com/search?q=enable+administrator+account&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 craygray

craygray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2016 - 09:42 AM

I've enabled the account through the recovery command prompt and it said that it was successful. I still have the black screen after start up and no option to choose which account to login to. 

#4 craygray

craygray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2016 - 09:49 AM

I came across this website: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-explorer-exe-does-not-start

Which states that the default value for ''shell'' in the registry is ''explorer.exe''

I've found that same location ''HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon'' and my registry lists ''cmd.exe /k start cmd.exe" instead. Is this normal or could this signify a virus? I don't know much about the regsitry so I might be barking up the completely wrong tree. I'm not even sure if regedit through the recovery prompt is accessing the real windows C install or some mini version in recovery.

I've tried loading windows defender offline onto a usb stick but it seems to be stuck on the loading screen. Other USB bootable antivirus applications require an internet connection but I only have access to wireless.

Edit: After further research I've found this page: 
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/476537/ksod-vista-sony-vaio-virus/page-8

The user had the exact same issue as me. It seems to be some malicious software that keeps changing registry values and stopping explorer from running on startup. Unless someone knows otherwise or has some other options I think I'll need to do a reinstall. This isn't too bad because at least it's not something like cryptolocker and I still have access to my files which I'll be able to save.

Edit: I finally got Windows Defender Offline to boot from a USB stick but Microsoft in their infinite wisdom has made Windows Defender OFFLINE require an internet connection to update signatures before it can scan even though I updated it from their website around 2 hours ago. Genius

Edited by craygray, 01 March 2016 - 10:35 AM.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 01 March 2016 - 05:49 PM

At work we don't fix the KSoD's.

I have spent weeks attempting to fix these things, only to give up after weeks and have to reinstall Windows.

Now, if we're unable to use System Restore, we just backup the data and wipe the system.

Since you're going to wipe it anyway - give the registry change a shot and reset the shell to explorer.exe.

I'd also try some other offline malware scans - in case it tries to force the shell back to cmd.exe on you.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users