Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP machine freezes or crashes to blue screen

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 anonanon

anonanon

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 29 February 2016 - 08:55 PM

Hi,

I have a PC running Windows XP Professional (SP3).  A week ago it started freezing up about once a day, at irregular times (not related to what program was running).  The mouse and keyboard did not work.  I shut down and restarted.  Once or twice it wouldn't boot up, but usually it would.  Today it froze and took me to the blue screen of death.

I have checked the data and power cables to and from the hard drive from which it boots; I unseated and reseated them.  The intermittent freezing/crashing problem has continued.

18 months ago, I had freezing up along with screen flicker; I replaced the cheap existing power supply with a medium/high-end Corsair (CX500), and that solved the problem.  This time I'm not getting screen flicker before or during the crashes, and most crashes take the form of the screen/keyboard/mouse freezing up, so it doesn't follow the same pattern as the problems I had 18 months ago.

What could be causing the current problems?  What can I test for?

Speccy report after my signature.

Thanks for ideas,

Roger

Operating System
    Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3
CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 3.16GHz    30 °C
    Wolfdale 45nm Technology
RAM
    4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 334MHz (5-5-5-15)
Motherboard
    ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5QL-EM (LGA775)    36 °C
Graphics
    E17LCD2 (1280x1024@60Hz)
    E17LCD2 (1280x1024@60Hz)
    Intel G45/G43 Express Chipset (ASUStek Computer Inc)
    Intel G45/G43 Express Chipset (ASUStek Computer Inc)
Storage
    465GB Western Digital WDC WD5001AALS-00E3A0 (SATA)    32 °C
    465GB Seagate ST3500320AS (SATA)    29 °C
Optical Drives
    ATAPI iHAS220 6
    ATAPI iHAS220 6
Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 01 March 2016 - 09:05 AM

Please provide these things so we can analyze the crashes:

Upload Dump Files:
NOTE:  If using a disk cleaning utility, please stop using it while we are troubleshooting your issues.
Please go to C:\Windows\Minidump and zip up the contents of the folder.  Then upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.
Left click on the first minidump file.
Hold down the "Shift" key and left click on the last minidump file.
Right click on the blue highlighted area and select "Send to"
Select "Compressed (zipped) folder" and note where the folder is saved.
Upload that .zip file with your next post.

If you have issues with "Access Denied" errors, try copying the files to your desktop and zipping them up from there.  If it still won't let you zip them up, post back for further advice.

If you don't have anything in that folder, please check in C:\Windows for a file named MEMORY.DMP.  If you find it, zip it up and upload it to a free file hosting service.  Then post the link to it in your topic so that we can download it. 

Also, search your entire hard drive for files ending in .dmp, .mdmp, and .hdmp.  Zip up any that you find and upload them with your next post.

Then, follow the directions here to set your system for Minidumps (much smaller than the MEMORY.DMP file):  http://www.carrona.org/setmini.html
More info on dump file options here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/254649

MSINFO32:
Please go to Start and type in "msinfo32.exe" (without the quotes) and press Enter
Save the report as an .nfo file, then zip up the .nfo file and upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.
Also, save a copy as a .txt file and include it also (it's much more difficult to read, but we have greater success in getting the info from it).

If you're having difficulties with the format, please open an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt and type (or copy/paste) "msinfo32 /nfo %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\TEST.NFO" (without the quotes) and press Enter.  Then navigate to Desktop to retrieve the TEST.NFO file.  If you have difficulties with making this work, please post back.  Then zip up the .nfo file and upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.

systeminfo:
Please open an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt and type (or copy/paste) "systeminfo.exe >%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt" (without the quotes) and press Enter.  Then navigate to Desktop to retrieve the syteminfo.txt file.  If you have difficulties with making this work, please post back.  Then zip up the .txt file and upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 anonanon

anonanon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2016 - 05:25 PM

Thanks for replying.

I have zipped copies of:

- windows\minidump [though these are only old files, none from this year; I checked the settings for minidumps as suggested, and found they were already correct, so I don't know why the latest blue screen didn't produce a dump file in the expected location]

- other .dmp, mpdm, hdmp files found on my hard drive [also only old files; no file named memory.dmp on my hard drive]

- the nfo version of the msinfo file

However, how do I attach them to my post?  I don't see an icon or label for that.

When I tried to save a txt version of the msinfo file, this was not an option.  When I tried running your suggested command from the command prompt, I got this error message (F: is the partition where \windows resides):

F:\>msinfo32 /nfo %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\TEST.NFO
'msinfo32' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

When I use the systeminfo command in the command prompt, I get this error message:

F:\>systeminfo.exe >%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt
ERROR: Invalid Argument/Option - 'and'.
Type "SYSTEMINFO /?" for usage.

Please let me know if I can produce those files some other way.

Roger

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:40 AM

I'm unable to test any of this as I don't have a copy of XP to test with.

In the lower right corner of the reply window is a button for "More Reply Options"

And the attachment stuff is located at the bottom of that page.

Be advised that you'll have to zip everything up before uploading.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 anonanon

anonanon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:26 AM

Thanks, I was now able to attach those files.

Btw, I have gotten the Blue Screen of Death only one time.  Every few hours I get a different kind of freezing -- the mouse and keyboard become immobilized as does the screen.

Roger

Attached Files

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2016 - 12:18 PM

Please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.

These devices are disabled in Device Manager:

1394 Net Adapter    V1394\NIC1394\1867E6A11D800    This device is disabled.
Beep    ROOT\LEGACY_BEEP\0000    This device is disabled.

Did you deliberately disable them?  If so, why did you disable them?

Please re-enable them and ensure that their drivers are updated.

I would not disable the BEEP device again, but feel free to disable the 1394 device AFTER updating it's drivers

Please update your Asus ATK0110 ACPI driver.  Your version dates from 2004 and is known to have BSOD issues.

If all of this doesn't stop the BSOD's, please run Driver Verifier according to these instructions:  http://www.carrona.org/verifier.html

Analysis:
The following is for informational purposes only.
**************************Mon Feb 29 20:36:42.062 2016 (UTC - 5:00)**************************
Loading Dump File [C:\Users\John\SysnativeBSODApps\Mini022916-01.dmp]
Windows XP Kernel Version 2600 (Service Pack 3) MP (2 procs) Free x86 compatible

Built by: 2600.xpsp_sp3_qfe.130704-0421
System Uptime: 0 days 12:18:31.730
Probably caused by : memory_corruption
BugCheck 100000C5, {30007, 2, 1, 8054c107}
BugCheck Info: DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL (c5)
Arguments:
Arg1: 00030007, memory referenced
Arg2: 00000002, IRQL
Arg3: 00000001, value 0 = read operation, 1 = write operation
Arg4: 8054c107, address which referenced memory
BUGCHECK_STR:  0xC5_2
PROCESS_NAME:  lsass.exe
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  MEMORY_CORRUPTION_ONE_BIT
CPUID:        "Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU     E8500  @ 3.16GHz"
MaxSpeed:     3160
CurrentSpeed: 3177
  BIOS Version                  0418   
  BIOS Release Date             12/09/2008
  Manufacturer                  System manufacturer
  Baseboard Manufacturer        ASUSTeK Computer INC.
  Product Name                  System Product Name
  Baseboard Product             P5QL-EM
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨``

3rd Party Drivers:
The following is for information purposes only.
Any drivers in RED should be updated or removed from your system. And should have been discussed in the body of my post.
**************************Mon Feb 29 20:36:42.062 2016 (UTC - 5:00)**************************
ASACPI.sys        Thu Aug 12 22:52:52 2004 (411C2D04)
Rtenicxp.sys      Thu Jan  3 09:10:16 2008 (477CECC8)
intelppm.sys      Sun Apr 13 14:31:31 2008 (48025183)
RtkHDAud.sys      Fri Jun 13 05:11:13 2008 (485239B1)
IntcHdmi.sys      Fri Jun 13 17:26:05 2008 (4852E5ED)
igxpmp32.sys      Fri Jun 27 11:46:47 2008 (48650B67)
igxpgd32.dll      Fri Jun 27 11:46:48 2008 (48650B68)
igxprd32.dll      Fri Jun 27 11:46:52 2008 (48650B6C)
igxpdv32.DLL      Fri Jun 27 11:48:32 2008 (48650BD0)
igxpdx32.DLL      Fri Jun 27 11:48:47 2008 (48650BDF)
NmPar.sys         Wed Dec 24 00:40:11 2008 (4951CB3B)
dsNcAdpt.sys      Fri Jan 25 20:19:42 2013 (51032F2E)
tap0901.sys       Thu Aug 22 08:40:00 2013 (521606A0)
MpFilter.sys      Tue Jan 14 18:38:02 2014 (52D5CA5A)
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=ASACPI.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=Rtenicxp.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=intelppm.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=RtkHDAud.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=IntcHdmi.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=igxpmp32.sys
igxpgd32.dll - this driver hasn't been added to the DRT as of this run. Please search Google/Bing for the driver if additional information is needed.
igxprd32.dll - this driver hasn't been added to the DRT as of this run. Please search Google/Bing for the driver if additional information is needed.
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=igxpdv32.DLL
igxpdx32.DLL - this driver hasn't been added to the DRT as of this run. Please search Google/Bing for the driver if additional information is needed.
NmPar.sys - this driver hasn't been added to the DRT as of this run. Please search Google/Bing for the driver if additional information is needed.
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=dsNcAdpt.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=tap0901.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=MpFilter.sys

#7 anonanon

anonanon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:16 PM

Thanks for these  ideas.  I am in the process of doing them.

I don't remember why I disabled 1394 and the beep.  Probably I disabled the beep because it was annoying me, but I will enable it now.  But how?

You said to re-enable:

Beep    ROOT\LEGACY_BEEP\0000    This device is disabled.

I assume you meant the registry key with this name.  I found the key via regedit, but when I try to modify it (right click | modify, or modify binary data), the value is 0 and I can't change that value.  How do I use regedit to re-enable the beep?  Do I need to rename the key itself?

Roger

#8 anonanon

anonanon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:21 PM

You also said I should:

Please update your Asus ATK0110 ACPI driver.  Your version dates from 2004 and is known to have BSOD issues.

Can you suggest where I can find a recent driver?  I searched on the Asus website and there seems to be nothing there.  Do I need to go to a third party to get it?  If so, whom would you trust?  E.g. Softpedia seems to have one.

Thanks,

Roger

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2016 - 06:28 AM

I do not suggest messing around with enabling/disabling stuff from the registry.

Open up Device Manager, then right click on the disabled device and select "Enable"

If you can't see the device, click on the View menu and select "Show hidden devices"

Here's a link to the 2009 version of the driver from the Asus website for your system: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/utils/MB_WIN7_ATK.ZIP

I got this link under the utilities section of this page:  https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5QLEM/HelpDesk_Download/

#10 anonanon

anonanon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2016 - 05:27 PM

Thanks.  I enabled the beep and ran the .exe file that was in that driver package.  It briefly opened a command line window and closed it; how can I check that it now has the 2009 version?  (I don't know where you saw that it had the 2004 version previously.)

Roger

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 05:51 PM

The 2004 version was in the memory dump.

You can go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers and check the dates on it there (right click and select "Properties).

#12 anonanon

anonanon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 07:52 PM

I looked there but don't see any file or subfolder with asus or atk... in the name.

Just curious -- did you find memory dump info concerning a recent (Feb. 2016) memory dump?  All I saw were files relating to events in previous years.

Btw, since re-enabling the 1394 connection I have not had any more system freeze-ups.

Roger

#13 anonanon

anonanon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 09:29 PM

I spoke too soon -- I just got the BSOD again.  So nothing done so far has cured the problem.

The BSOD screen suggested:

- running a system diagnostic utility from the hardware manufacturer, esp. to check the memory

- checking video adapters

Do those seem like good next steps?  (If so, could you direct me toward the resources I need to do them?)  Or do other steps seem worth trying next?

Roger

#14 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 10:53 PM

I looked there but don't see any file or subfolder with asus or atk... in the name.

The ATK0110 driver name is asacpi.sys

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Edited by jcgriff2, 05 March 2016 - 10:57 PM.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

#15 anonanon

anonanon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 11:11 PM

Thanks.  I looked there and the version of that file still seems to be the 2004 version.

I followed the instructions left by usasma:

Here's a link to the 2009 version of the driver from the Asus website for your system: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/utils/MB_WIN7_ATK.ZIP

I got this link under the utilities section of this page:  https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5QLEM/HelpDesk_Download/

I wonder if this is the right driver, though.  The folder says Win7.  The extracted files include subfolders for Win7, Win2000, and WinVista.  Nothing for Windows XP, apparently.  There is one exe file in the folder:  AsAcpiIns.exe.  When I run that, it briefly opens a command prompt window, which then closes.  And the asacpi.sys file seems to be unchanged.

Is this the right driver package to be using?  Am I trying to install it the right way?

Thanks for ideas,

Roger

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users