Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Start Menu freezes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Nobots

Nobots

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 29 February 2016 - 05:37 PM

A couple of problems i've recently encountered, upon booting the start menu and explorer will freeze 4/5 times and need to be manually restarted in task manager.

In chrome certain webpages are also appearing as 'Ah snap something went wrong' even the chrome help page on that error.

Also noticed upon shutdown Task Host Manager is always running, read up that this could be a possible virus causing these issues?

Any help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 06:20 PM

Try these steps and see if they help,win 10 s been doing this for ages.

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/has-your-windows-10-start-menu-stopped-working-here-are-four-ways-to-fix-it-11364000314532

Task Host Manager,im guessing thats more likely a process hanging on shutdown,something running on the system than a virus.

Have a look in task manager at whats running,you might be able to catch the process that way...or see if this helps

http://windowanswers.com/windows-10/task-host-window-error-message-on-shutdown-176268.html

Just remembering Task Host Manager used to hang on win 7 if people didnt have updates,are you up to date with them?

#3 crackprob

crackprob

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2016 - 03:33 AM

yes i also facing this error .. is there somone there help me also .. 

#4 Nobots

Nobots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2016 - 05:30 AM

Yeah fully updated.

Some other info, Malwarebytes was unable to run and came of with the error 'not supported by windows or an error occurred'. Eventually managed to perform a clean install of it and it found no issues. 

Most domains in chrome causing 'ah snap' error, other web browsers seem fine so this could be unrelated.

Tried running C:/ dskchk in command prompt but it fails as it says some files are read only and I don't have permission? Similarly some folders like 'Temp' deny me access even though i'm administrator and when I try to give myself full control I get an access denied error which makes me think this is more likely a virus.

I did notice that Start menu/explorer on freeze/hang the first 4 times after being restarted in task manager, after that I can use the Start menu but cannot search in the search bar.

#5 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:05 PM

Ok im thinking you should post in "Am i infected forum" and clear that up first,then if you still have issues post again with them.Good luck.

#6 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:08 PM

yes i also facing this error .. is there somone there help me also ..

Hi Crackprob,you could look in the Links given and see if anything there helps if its a start menu issue.

Really you should start a new post topic of your own.Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users