Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accessing an old HD

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 AmericanJohnny

AmericanJohnny

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 29 February 2016 - 04:55 PM

To start out I'd like to say that I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to computer hardware and I'm not sure I'm posting this in the right place.

Just recently I decided to try and get a few files off on a really old computer that was in my possession (an Inspiron 2500). I pulled the hard drive out of it and am currently using a USB to Sata/IDE adapter to try and access the 2500 HD but whenever I hook it up to my laptop it just appears as a removable hard drive with no name. I get no option to access files on it or at the very least an option to reformat (even though that isn't at all what I want to do). The laptop I am using to try and open the HD is running WIndows 7.

Can anyone help me with this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 29 February 2016 - 05:06 PM

Have you tries using a different USB port. Open Device Manager. Look for the drive. Is a drive letter assigned to the drive? If not assign a letter.

#3 AmericanJohnny

AmericanJohnny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 05:14 PM

Have you tries using a different USB port. Open Device Manager. Look for the drive. Is a drive letter assigned to the drive? If not assign a letter.

I have tried using both USB ports and it doesn't seem to make any difference which one it's hooked up to. The drive shows up under "My Computer" but only under "Removable Storage". It appears as "Removable Disk E" but doesn't open when I click on it, I just get a message that says, "please insert disk into Removable Disk E".

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,235 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 05:21 PM

With the drive connected open a command prompt and type the following

diskpart

list disk

select disk X   where X is the number assigned to the USB hard drive.

detail disk

Click on the small icon in the menu bar and select Edit > Select All.  Edit > Copy. Paste the results in your next post.

#5 AmericanJohnny

AmericanJohnny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 05:35 PM

With the drive connected open a command prompt and type the following

diskpart

list disk

select disk X   where X is the number assigned to the USB hard drive.

detail disk

Click on the small icon in the menu bar and select Edit > Select All.  Edit > Copy. Paste the results in your next post.

Um, I think I may be doing something wrong. I got as far as getting the command screen to come up and entering "list disk". I got a result list that has a "disk 0 and disk 1" on it. Disk 0 looks like its the internal hard drive on my laptop. Disk 1 however says under "Status", "No media" and its size is listed as 0 bytes.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,235 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 05:42 PM

That is the problem. Disk 1 is your optical drive. For some reason the computer is not detecting the USB drive itself, only the USB bridge which is the adapter itself. It could be the adapter or the drive has failed to the point where it cannot be detected. Is this the type of adapter you are using? If a SATA drive, I would double check the connections of the SATA data and power cables.

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 February 2016 - 05:43 PM.

#7 AmericanJohnny

AmericanJohnny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 05:50 PM

That is the problem. Disk 1 is your optical drive. For some reason the computer is not detecting the USB drive itself, only the USB bridge which is the adapter itself. It could be the adapter or the drive has failed to the point where it cannot be detected. Is this the type of adapter you are using? If a SATA drive, I would double check the connections of the SATA data and power cables.

Essentially, yes. I'm using a "Kingwin EZ-Connect Superspeed USB 3.0". All the pieces look the same.
The hard drive I'm trying to open is actually an old 2.5" IDE. I can hear the disk spinning on it so I know there's power to it and the adapter itself is lit up. Maybe I should try using the adapter with a different computer?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,235 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 06:08 PM

That adapter should work on the IDE especially if you here the drive spinning up. I would try it on another computer. If you have a spare drive around see if it is detected using the adapter. If that is not possible then you could boot a live linux disk such as FatDog64. Connect the USB hard drive. A USB icon will appear on the desktop. Clicking once on it will mount the partition and open the File Manager. If Fatdog fails to detect the drive then I would have to assume it's the adapter or drive. If in warranty I would RMA the adapter, especially if it does not detect another drive.

#9 AmericanJohnny

AmericanJohnny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 06:13 PM

That adapter should work on the IDE especially if you here the drive spinning up. I would try it on another computer. If you have a spare drive around see if it is detected using the adapter. If that is not possible then you could boot a live linux disk such as FatDog64. Connect the USB hard drive. A USB icon will appear on the desktop. Clicking once on it will mount the partition and open the File Manager. If Fatdog fails to detect the drive then I would have to assume it's the adapter or drive. If in warranty I would RMA the adapter, especially if it does not detect another drive.

Problem solved. Had to pull a third comp out and hooked the adapter up to that. Seems it was just a problem with the USB ports on my laptop or maybe the settings but my other comp had no trouble letting me get to the files I needed. Thanks so much for your assistance! Simple fix but I don't think I would have worked through it so thoroughly without the help. Again, thanks.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,235 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 06:14 PM

No problem, it's highly likely the USB ports on the laptop did not provide enough power for the adapter. Glad you got it sorted out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users