Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

QoS settings on my ISP router.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 29 February 2016 - 01:54 PM

I live in the middle of nowhere. Luckily was eventually able to get DSL from Frontier to replace the data capped satellite internet. Have unlimited data usage and usable ping now for occasional online multiplayer. Here's the max speed as listed by the modem/router combo for reference.

speed_zpsej4vmeo8.png

Mid day slows to about 70KB/s. Not fast, but enough to stream videos at 360p, do voice chat, and play games on.

Now the router does surprisingly have QoS settings. My goal would be to reserve 20-40KB/s to my gaming rig during the day so that it has breathing room to send/receive a multiplayer signal with reasonable ping. Reasonable being between 40 and 300 for it. However normally video watching and other downloading throughout the day chokes out the bandwidth and delays the multiplayer signals being sent, making ping skyrocket anywhere between 600 and 4000 (no joke). 

With all that. This is what the QoS settings look like. 

QoS1_zpsy9inbrzg.png

Main menu^

QoS2_zpsr0b0rsch.png

Under the "Add Queue" link^

QoS3_zpsdkl3bgww.png

Under "view/Add Filter Rules" ^

QoS4_zpsyyd1njgh.png

Under "New Filter" with the last one^

I've never run into QoS settings this detailed before. The ones I've all used have been on consumer or enthusiast routers, and were way more simplified. 

Networking is my week point if you cant tell. Large initial learning curve. If anymore could help walk me through how I'd set this up and explain some of the terminology it'd be much appreciated. This is both a challenge and learning experience I'd like to conqueror.

EDIT:Fixed MB/KB type-o

Edited by SEANIA, 29 February 2016 - 02:00 PM.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users