Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Update Issues LXLE 12.04-32bit

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 29 February 2016 - 01:00 PM

This is on my Acer in my Signature.  Always seem to have issues with this but just ignore it because can't find good answer.  Here are the Errors:

Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/kevin-mehall/pithos-daily/ubuntu/dists/precise/main/source/Sources 404 Not Found

Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/kevin-mehall/pithos-daily/ubuntu/dists/precise/main/binary-i386/Packages 404 Not Found

Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Thanks pcpunk

Edited by pcpunk, 29 February 2016 - 01:03 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 03:02 PM

That ppa is not accessible ATM, you could try again later.
If it stays down and is dead, just remove the ppa from the update sources...

How to remove/delete a ppa?  :wink: 
At least one of the options in that article should work for you!

BTW, are you really sure it's the right url for that ppa, did it ever worked correct? Do you have pithos installed?

See this link... and here's another for pithos (I did not check if they are working!).

Greets!

#3 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:34 PM

@pcpunk:

punk, I have LXLE 12.04.5 LTS 32-bit running as one of two Distros on Elaine's old laptop - could be similar to/same as your version?

Here's a screenshot (partial) of an attempt to run

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

a few minutes ago.

IEy7xA1.png

Look familiar?

I had tried first to run the GUI Update Manager, and it fell over.

Seems to be a system fault of some sort?

I haven't the time right now to look into it further, but hope this gives you a headstart. If you find a solution before I do, lemme know. If you get stuck we can work on it together.

Cheers

:wizardball: Wiz

BTW - I wasn't actively running anything that might conflict with the administration directory, but did not get as far as checking running processes.

Edited - added BTW

Edited by wizardfromoz, 29 February 2016 - 09:35 PM.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 29 February 2016 - 11:19 PM

GUI update service is still running Wiz (even though the interface is down), find the PID and kill it.

Then try again.

:whistle:

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 11:35 PM

This is on my Acer in my Signature.  Always seem to have issues with this but just ignore it because can't find good answer.  Here are the Errors:

Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/kevin-mehall/pithos-daily/ubuntu/dists/precise/main/source/Sources 404 Not Found

Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/kevin-mehall/pithos-daily/ubuntu/dists/precise/main/binary-i386/Packages 404 Not Found

Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Thanks pcpunk

Use the Synaptic package manager rather...

These repositories have been reacted and you need to update your sources, if you prefer to do it manually.

Perhaps easier than synaptic for removing the a ppa would be to use Menu>system tools>y ppa manager.

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 11:54 PM

pcpunk, sounds like your issues are sort of like that of Mint 13, where the Medibuntu PPA has to be removed, or the same error will show. 

Only you have two of these, and have to find out the ones that either aren't up for the moment. These are often known dropped PPA's, this happens from time to time, especially when the devs moves onto newer projects, or drops out due to lack of funding. Not that it'll be the first nor last time this has happened. 

BTW, is this an extension of your prior Topic, 11 months back? Just so happens, these or both are for the 'precise' (based off of Ubuntu 12.04 distro) also. If so, that's two Topics basically asking the same question. If it's LXLE precise, which hasn't changed in years, why are you asking the same question again? There are always going to be dropped PPA's in older distros, look for the Kevin Mahall one & delete it, see bottom of post. 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/571692/lxle-updates-not-working-properly/

In regards to the Kevin Mahall PPA, it's dead. Needs to be replaced with another, instructions below. 

http://lxle.net/forums/discussion/951/recent-ppa-not-found-error

Good Luck! :thumbup2:

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 29 February 2016 - 11:58 PM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,666 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:58 AM

If so, that's two Topics basically asking the same question. If it's LXLE precise, which hasn't changed in years, why are you asking the same question again?

I think that's a little harsh cat.  I just don't know all these things yet, and didn't know if that PPA was needed or not.  I could not find the info to fix myself and had even asked at LXLE.net but can not find it now.  I do know that we are supposed to Update with the Synaptic but don't know why.  I see that we are supposed to get automatic Security Updates but use the Synaptic for others.  I have used the Update manager and it seems it works just the same.  Maybe will explore the LXLE Site some more.

http://wiki.lxle.net/doku.php/updates

I'll fix it now.

Took a long time to Remove that PPA, and the PPA updater did not say weather it was doing anything until it was done.  All good now thanks to all for getting my LXLE back in good shape, use it all the time.  Thanks for that link cat, that was the ticket!

pcpunk

Edited by pcpunk, 01 March 2016 - 11:08 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2016 - 03:06 AM

pcpunk, am glad that you got it fixed! :thumbup2:

No, I wasn't being harsh, or that wasn't my intent. My point was, since the issue (updates) would had been on Topic with your other one, you could had picked up where you left off & all would be together for future reference, say should you need to reinstall at a later date. Or to benefit others looking for the same. :)

I have a couple of my own that's over a year old that I revisit & update to reflect current changes, as needed. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,666 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:17 AM

I see, didn't know the exact edicate when resurrecting Threads.  I lost interest in LXLE at the time so did not bookmark that Thread, as far as I know.  It is now bookmarked along with that link you provided.  Your google skills are more than mine Master cat1092!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2016 - 06:47 AM

Yes, you can always revisit & post existing Topics, as long as what you're adding is in line with the original issue. :thumbup2:

Better that than having different Topics with the same issue, for the reasons stated above. :)

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users