Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

compaq presario 1200

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 grafenwohr

grafenwohr

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:20 PM

I have a Compaq Presario running xp professional with a phone jack for internet connection(no Ethernet port). I would like to connect it to my att frontier modem that uses cat 5. I bought a j5 jue130 gigabit Ethernet adapter(that has a j45 to usb).I would like to know if this computer is capable of connecting to my service and if so how do I configure my computer. I loaded the correct driver for the adapter but can't get connection.

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:55 PM

Hello grafenwohr

Have you looked at using the computer with a wireless connection from your modem ?

Check with your Internet Service Provider for setting it as wireless.. Who is your ISP ?

Any Good ?

Acer Computer with LG Monitor and Toshiba Laptop with Windows 7.1

Windows 64bit  8.1 - Always fully updated

Firefox / Google Chrome / Internet Explorer Browsers

Usually a home helper here or with friends and nimble fingered ladies who would rather sew or dust, but not clean the bugs out of a computer ...

#3 grafenwohr

grafenwohr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 01:16 PM

My isp is frontier...they bought out att uverse.

I do have wireless for my other computers but I have no idea if the Compaq can do wireless. do you need a special adapter?

what I need to know is if this computer is capable of connecting to a modern enternet connection and if so, how to I set up.

thanks.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,636 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 01:22 PM

Is there a yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager with the adapter connected? The adapter is supposed to be compatible with USB 2.0 even though it was designed for USB 3.0. If there are no yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager I would RMA it.

I have successfully installed one of these adapters on a XP computer but it was not Gigabit. I downloaded the driver and it connected via Ethernet. There was nothing to configure. The computer should not matter as long as the USB port is functioning correctly.

If the computer is a desktop then you probably do not have wireless. There are USB wireless adapters for desktops. What is the model number of the Compaq if a laptop? Edit: Should have looked at the post title.  :(

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 February 2016 - 01:28 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 29 February 2016 - 01:23 PM

1.  Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

2.  Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.  

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users