Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 - Automatic Repair - boots in 2nd cycle

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sew333

sew333

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:00 PM

Hello. This is similiar topic on our forum but now i will explain more brighter.
So last time after i change in my UEFI boot priority from :"UEFI USB KINGSTON" to "P1 SSD SAMSUNG EVO 250 GB" i am getting weird booting problem with Windows 10.

03_140515103027.jpg

When starting Windows 10 boot loader starts by "preparing automatic repair" and diagnosing pc. Then after this i get screen with Your pc did not start correctly or Automatic Repair couldnt repair your pc . And when i click restart then Windows 10 boot fine. So i am needing 2 boots to boot properly to windows. 

My disk is on MBR partirion. Is this related to my UEFI/Partitions?

Somebody said to me this:"UEFI booting requires a GPT disk. This is why Windows has to fix itself and only boots in 2nd cycle - as you keep trying to boot UEFI to an MBR disk."

Also i know that UEFI firmware can emulate BIOS functionality (CSM/Legacy) and work with MBR disks just fine. Or i am wrong? And cause is elsewhere?

I am a little confused. Thx for reply. My ssd Samsung Evo 250 GB , rams 2x8gb DDR3 Kingston Hyperx 1600mhz.

Edited by sew333, 29 February 2016 - 12:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 01 March 2016 - 08:58 AM

What happens when you change the boot priority back to UEFI USB KINGSTON?

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 sew333

sew333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 03 March 2016 - 06:49 AM

What happens when you change the boot priority back to UEFI USB KINGSTON?

If i change back to UEFI USB KINGSTON ( memtest86 or Windows10 install ) there is no problem. So what that mean?

Edited by sew333, 03 March 2016 - 06:50 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 07:05 AM

The most likely thing is that the SSD is not properly setup as a UEFI boot device.
And, that the running of Startup Repair fixes it (but only temporarily)

I'd start by investigating if the device works without the USB KINGSTON device inserted.

Unfortunately, I'm not very experienced with repairing these sorts of errors.

I'll post in the Staff forums asking for others to take a look here.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 03:57 PM

I've posted over in the Staff forums (yesterday) and still haven't found assistance.

I'd suggest:

- DISM/SFC (in the quote below)

- RESET using the Keep My Files option

- RESET using the Remove Everything option (do a backup first)

- finally, a wipe of the hard drive and then a clean install of W10

Then please run the following DISM commands to see if there's any problems with the system (from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt).  Press Enter after each one:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

FYI - I have repaired systems using the last command even though problems weren't found with the first 2 - so I suggest running them all.

From this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824869.aspx

You can also run sfc.exe /scannow from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt to check for further corruption.

Edited by usasma, 06 March 2016 - 03:57 PM.

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 06 March 2016 - 05:07 PM

Hi,

After the Automatic Repair fail can you please post the context of the log file c:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\Srt\SrtTail.txt

Note: Most likely windows will not allow you to open the file directly from the Srt sub-folder, to get access first copy the file SrtTail.txt to the Desktop.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users