Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio (Driver?) Problem - Stuttering, Causing Crashes

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 whythough

whythough

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 29 February 2016 - 02:35 AM

Hi there, PC is:

Windows XP Professional 2002: SP 3

Intel Core 2 CPU

6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2.40 GHz

3.25 GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 210 (Driver Version 306.23)

DirectX 9.0

My problem is with audio, or decoding it or something?

Flash streaming like YouTube, etc, works fine. Listening to .MP3 works fine through Winamp.

But when trying to run a video file through VLC, the video works great, but the audio is very choppy and garbled, like it would be when it's not been encoded properly, you can't make anything out the way it should sound at all.

I have tried .AVI & .MP4 and a few other file types all with the same result.

This also occurs in many cutscenes in games if they are pre-made video files that are then loaded and not 'in-engine' footage, and also seems to be crashing some games every ten minutes or so.

Some games (Fallout 3, Oblivion, etc) have also been crashing and the music cannot play, it tries to but stutters and repeats the start of the song while the rest of the game continues working fine. If I disable music, the games work as normal again for a while before crashing, usually when particular sounds play.

I have tried installing the K-Lite codec pack, but it does not seem to be used by the programs which are crashing or having issues, as though something else is taking priority and not working properly?

Thanks in advance for any ideas, I am not very knowledgeable about audio at all :(

Realtek seems to be running okay, and displays this info:

s49umf.jpg

Edited by whythough, 29 February 2016 - 02:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:33 AM

I would assume that you have had XP for a long time with no video problems, right? When did this start, did you make changes to the system, etc?

Does Windows Media Player work ok?

Have you tried a different video player, like Media Player Classic Home Cinema?

**First thing, make an image backup on an external drive for safety before troubleshooting; it may be hard to find the system drivers for an older unit like yours.

My XP Pro system is running Direct X 9.0c, try checking if you have the latest version.

Another thing you can do is use a scanner like Hijack This to see what is loading on your system; you may have adware/spyware interfering.

Another thing: are you running  a separate sound card, or do you have integrated sound? If a card, check for updated drivers for it.

Edited by ranchhand_, 29 February 2016 - 09:34 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users