Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Iexplore.exe Errors

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ksue

Ksue

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 31 July 2006 - 08:43 PM

Re: iexplore.exe App. Ver 6.02900.2180

Since last week, while I am on-line I keep getting a box that pops up telling me there was a problem related to the above...I send the error report and then when I close it I wind up back at my desktop screen and have to start all over again.
This happens over and over, sometimes it seems just after a mouse click.
I have sent error reports every time this happens...do you ever get results from these reports.

I have WindowsXP SP2

It "SEEMS" to have started occurring after I did a system restore because I lost all my sound...system sounds, Windows Media Player and can't play CD's.I still have no sound and now this problem is bugging me.

Any help on what can I do to fix this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ksue

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kyle

Kyle

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 01 August 2006 - 11:25 PM

Hi Ksue

Please do the following:

Click Start then click Run when it opens, type:
cmd.exe

When Command Prompt opens type:
Sfc /Scannow

When it finishes please reboot your computer.

If you see the following message boxPosted Image

then follow these instructions.

Step 1

You will need to get your XP CD and find the folder called:

I386

This is a major folder and should be one of the first you see, now copy this onto your hard drive into the system root. It should be C:\ so you should end up with a folder that looks like: C:\I386

Step 2

Now you will need to make your computer aware that you have this file on your computer. We do this in the registry (type regedit in the Run box on the start menu) by navigating to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see alot of different entries but you must look for:

SourcePath

It probaly pointing to your CD ROM drive, and that is why it is asking for the XP CD. All we need to do is change it to:

C:\

Simply double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up allowing you to make the change.

Now restart your computer and try scannow sfc again!

Edited by Djk, 01 August 2006 - 11:48 PM.

Regards,
Kyle

#3 Ksue

Ksue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2006 - 05:43 PM

Hi!
Thank you for a response.
This sounds kind of complicated for me.I am not to familiar with finding files and folders and such.
Once I get started, it might ask me something I do not understand or know how to locate or what to type in, then how would I proceed?

BTW,I have WindowsXP Home version, not professional and
The only CD I have is the emachines restore CD that came with the computer which was already loaded with WindowsXP. I have no CD such as a Windows CD.

One time when I was doing something else unrelated to this problem, it asked to type in the path...I had no clue what to put and could not continue.

What am I risking if I screw this "fix" up?

I'm curious as to what you think caused this problem in the first place.

I have seen suggestions it could be from adaware or malaware when I searched the same problem ( iexplore.exe errors) that folks had posted in other forums.

Edited by Ksue, 04 August 2006 - 05:51 PM.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,858 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2006 - 09:50 PM

Look carefully at the restore CD. Unless I am very much mistaken it contains the Windows XP Home Edition Installation files. I believe this is the disc you would insert if asked for it when running Scannow. If I were at home I could tell you for certain. I also had my computer preinstalled, and they sent discs of all the files that were installed. These are back-up or restore discs and will say something to the effect of "already installed on your computer."

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 05 August 2006 - 11:37 PM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 Kyle

Kyle

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 11 August 2006 - 09:50 AM

Ksue, please do the following, if you have any problems while trying to do this, please tell me in your next post. You cannot "screw" this up, if you follow the instructions below, there should be no problem. But there can be an error, so if you recieve any error, please tell me.

Click Start then click Run when it opens, type:
cmd.exe

When Command Prompt opens type:
Sfc /Scannow

When it finishes please reboot your computer.

Warm regards,
Kyle
Regards,
Kyle

#6 Ksue

Ksue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2006 - 12:48 PM

This is weird....All of a sudden the problem is not occurring anymore and I had not done anything to fix it yet.
Could it be that one of the new Windows Updates ( there were recently a whole bunch of them) that I get automatically has fixed it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users