Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB ethernet adapter keeps losing connection to router.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jayBC

jayBC

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:17 PM

Hello. I been trying to figure out why I keep losing connection (exclamation sign) and hoping I can resolve it here. I updated the drivers and made sure there is no energy saving options enabled. The device I'm using is a LinkS using ASIX AX88179 chipset. I feel like its a hardware issue. I use it as media center PC and I would watch tv and record and it would lose connection for no reason and I have to unplug/plug it back to get it working again. FYI im using a usb ethernet because the ethernet got damaged by surge and its a mini pc so I can't add a ethernet card. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:39 PM

First, make sure your USB ports have selective suspend disabled. If that does not solve the problem see this page. Pay special attention to Method #4.  

Edit: I crossed out the wifi fix. I was thinking you had wifi, sorry. But, make sure USB selective suspend is disabled.

Edit Edit: You say you updated drivers for the Ethernet USB adapter. Did you download the driver from the chipset manufacturer? 

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 February 2016 - 10:43 PM.

#3 jayBC

jayBC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:50 PM

First, make sure your USB ports have selective suspend disabled. If that does not solve the problem see this page. Pay special attention to Method #4.  

Edit: I crossed out the wifi fix. I was thinking you had wifi, sorry. But, make sure USB selective suspend is disabled.

Edit Edit: You say you updated drivers for the Ethernet USB adapter. Did you download the driver from the chipset manufacturer? 

The power option is on high performance so that option is disabled. Yes i downloaded the latest drivers from ASIX website.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 29 February 2016 - 08:00 AM

Sometimes existing USB drivers can conflict. Download USBdeview. Remove vendor specific devices such as flash drives but not devices such as mouse, keyboard, network, or printer.

If you still have a problem see method 8 here.

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 February 2016 - 08:01 AM.

#5 jayBC

jayBC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 05:30 PM

Sometimes existing USB drivers can conflict. Download USBdeview. Remove vendor specific devices such as flash drives but not devices such as mouse, keyboard, network, or printer.

If you still have a problem see method 8 here.

ok I will try these steps and see how it will hold up. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users