Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Help I rendered my computer inoperable

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 wikiderr

wikiderr

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 28 February 2016 - 09:07 PM

Hello everyone, I have a computer which I recently upgraded to windows 10. It worked fine for less than a week and now it is in an inifinite loop cycle showing WFD VIOLATION. I was going to try and fix it in safe mode but safe mode was not showing up under advanced options in automatic repair. I used command prompt and I followed a guide and I typed in
"bcdedit /set default bootmenupolicy standard" i followed every step except for popping in a windows 10 bootable disk. The computer now starts up but gives no activity on the monitor, I dont even see a setup screen any more it just sounds like the CD drive tries to spin here and there.

My solution would be to make a windows 10 bootable disk but i dont have access to do that right at this moment. Is there any kind of way to reverse what I did for the time being?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 29 February 2016 - 12:00 AM.
moved from Windows 10 Discussion to Windows 10 Support

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 11:05 AM

If that happened to me, I'd boot from my backup/restore disc and restore Windows from my last full system backup.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 29 February 2016 - 11:20 AM

See option 6 here. Try Startup Repair First. You should be able to get to safe mode using option 6.

#4 wikiderr

wikiderr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 07:59 PM

I wish I couid however It does not even show the HP symbol or anything. I turn it on and it does nothing. 

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:12 PM

Not getting the HP logo at boot would indicate a hardware issue. Do you get anything when tapping Esc at boot?

#6 wikiderr

wikiderr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:19 PM

John, the computer does not do anything no usb activity, mouse or keyboard do not light up. However last night it came back on so like an idiot I did it again in order to get into safe mode and this time it does not do anything. The fans are working, I even tried clearing the cmos. I just don't think it's hardware failure because it happened right after I did that. I even unplugged the hard drive and tried to boot up to no avail. Monitor says No signal.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:26 PM

Have you tried powercycling the computer?

Pull the power cord and if a laptop remove the main battery. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the power cord but leave the main battery out if a laptop and try booting again.

#8 wikiderr

wikiderr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:47 PM

Yes unfortunately to no avail, however I think with that stupid command the computer is trying to boot from CD and doesn't care about anything else. I just went out and bought a blank dvd so I am going to make a Windows 10 bootable disc and try my luck there. I put In a test cd and I can feel the optical drive spinning

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 10:06 PM

If you don't see any HP logo I don't know how the CD or DVD will boot.

#10 wikiderr

wikiderr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 10:11 PM

It did not work. Everything appears to run outside of seeing that logo. I am scratching my head, could that command of fried the motherboard? Everything works even the fans.. I unplug the hard drive and I still don't see a logo.

What should be my next step shy of sending it to a repair shop which I would hate to do being A+ certified.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 10:38 PM

That command should not have done anything to the motherboard, it would only change the BCD on the hard drive. Removing the hard drive took that out of the equation. I am kind of at a loss on this. It's almost as if the UEFI became corrupted. I don't know how one goes about updating a UEFI outside of Windows. With the old BIOS's you could do it to recover a bad firmware upgrade but I am not sure about the newer UEFI firmware.

Maybe this was just a coincidence. Sorry, I don't know what else to try. If this is a desktop HP there is a jumper on the MB that will clear CMOS that may work. What is the model of the HP?

#12 wikiderr

wikiderr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 10:49 PM

Yeah John Haha.. This is how I feel. I am by no means an amateur when it comes to fixing computers but I am also by no means an expert. I actually just got off the phone with my buddy and he actually said something that made sense.. Trying to put in a different video card.. the video card embedded into the motherboard may of become corrupted or something..

Just to break it down when it was brought to me, the computer booted at hp logo and went to two different blue screens showing inaccessible boot device and WDF_VIOLATION..
Thinking it was a bad driver I decided to try and boot into safe mode and force updates on all drivers, however I could not access Safe Mode so i used the BCDEDIT /SET command..
After doing so computer would not even show HP LOGO but all peripherals appeared to run. 
I then proceeded to power cycle the computer a bunch of times.. 
I shorted the jumper to clear cmos, I even took the battery out...
I then made a windows bootable ISO that had no effect..
I then tried a different power cable, different VGA cable, different monitor..

Next step is to try a different video card i guess?

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 10:59 PM

Yes, that is a very good point. See if a Video Card will work. Good Luck. Post back the results, thanks.

#14 wikiderr

wikiderr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2016 - 10:42 PM

So John, i have tried a different video card to no avail. I also tested the PSU and it all reads correct voltage.. The only other possbility is the mobo, however I have never seen a motherboard die but still spin the optical disk and turn on fans even spin the fan on a new GPU.

Any ideas? If not I am going to bite the bullet and send it to a repair shop against my will.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2016 - 11:08 PM

Sorry, I don't know what else to try. I have heard that the early builds of Windows 10 would corrupt UEFI. Google Windows 10 UEFI corrupted. Windows 10 has the ability to update the UEFI firmware through updates  which is kind of scary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users