Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitors no longer receive signal after unplugging and plugging memory back in

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 DirtRag

DirtRag

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2016 - 07:20 PM

I went to start up my computer earlier and it would not boot up properly. Looking online someone mentioned it could be faulty memory. So one by one I took them out and started up the computer to see if it would boot with potentially removing a faulty memory stick. None of them seemed to be causing a problem so after installing all the memory back properly, neither of my monitors no longer receive a signal.

I have tried reconnecting everything and checking all connections. I have tried turning off the computer and extracting the CMOS battery for 30 seconds. Not sure what they next step in solving this is.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 28 February 2016 - 09:18 PM

What errors are you given? Does it boot to the bios or get to windows loading?

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 DirtRag

DirtRag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:15 PM

What errors are you given? Does it boot to the bios or get to windows loading?

It gets to a screen saying at the top "Windows Boot Manager". And I have two options, 1. Launch Startup repair (recommended) or 2. Start windows normally.

The first option prompts me to use the windows installation disc which I do not have, and the second attempts to boot but doesnt work and brings me back to the initial windows boot manager

Edit: I should also note that I was able to get my monitors back working with a bit of tinkering (not exactly sure what fixed it, but they work now).

Edited by DirtRag, 28 February 2016 - 10:15 PM.

#4 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:36 PM

What version of Windows? Can you get to safe mode? If it is Windows XP, Vista, or 7, try continuously pressing F8 on startup until you get a boot option menu. Try safe mode. If that fails, try the "disable automatic restart on failure", you may be getting a BSOD.

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic]

ransomnotecleaner-25.png RansomNoteCleaner - Remove Ransom Notes Left Behind [Support Topic]

cryptosearch-25.pngCryptoSearch - Find Files Encrypted by Ransomware [Support Topic]

If I have helped you and you wish to support my ransomware fighting, you may support me here.

#5 DirtRag

DirtRag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:41 PM

What version of Windows? Can you get to safe mode? If it is Windows XP, Vista, or 7, try continuously pressing F8 on startup until you get a boot option menu. Try safe mode. If that fails, try the "disable automatic restart on failure", you may be getting a BSOD.

I am running windows 7 for future reference. I tried earlier to do safe mode, just tried again and it did not work. Just disabled automatic restart on failure and now i am stuck on a blue screen with white text saying "a problem has been detected and windows has been bleep down to prevent damage to your computer". Upon restarting I come back to the same Windows Error Recovery screen.

#6 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,426 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:53 PM

On that bluescreen, what was the error code? Should be a hex code (0x...), and the SOME_ERROR_IN_CAPS at the top. That will give us some info to help guide your troubleshooting based on the BSOD code.

Edited by Demonslay335, 28 February 2016 - 10:53 PM.

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic]

ransomnotecleaner-25.png RansomNoteCleaner - Remove Ransom Notes Left Behind [Support Topic]

cryptosearch-25.pngCryptoSearch - Find Files Encrypted by Ransomware [Support Topic]

If I have helped you and you wish to support my ransomware fighting, you may support me here.

#7 DirtRag

DirtRag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2016 - 11:01 PM

On that bluescreen, what was the error code? Should be a hex code (0x...), and the SOME_ERROR_IN_CAPS at the top. That will give us some info to help guide your troubleshooting based on the BSOD code.

The hex code looks to be 0x00000024. Not sure exactly what you meant about the SOME_ERROR_IN_CAPS portion of your previous reply, I don't see anything resembling that on this screen.

#8 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,426 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2016 - 11:06 PM

Does it look like this?

bleuerror-filesyst.JPG

#9 DirtRag

DirtRag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2016 - 11:09 PM

Does it look like this?

bleuerror-filesyst.JPG

It is almost identical to that, except the second hexcode in brackets is different. The second one for me is 0xFFFFFA800530801, everything else is the exact same

#10 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,426 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2016 - 11:15 PM

OK, definitely suspecting hardware issues, or some OS corruption with that BSOD. I would test your RAM with MemTest, and your hard drive with Seagate SeaTools. If you need, both of these tools are on the Hiren's Boot disk. Sorry I'm not in a place I can type out more detailed instructions. I believe the BSOD forums have a sticky post on instructions for running these tests.

If both of those tests pass, we can try running chkdsk as Windows suggests; only after we rule out hardware first to be safe.

#11 DirtRag

DirtRag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:33 AM

OK, definitely suspecting hardware issues, or some OS corruption with that BSOD. I would test your RAM with MemTest, and your hard drive with Seagate SeaTools. If you need, both of these tools are on the Hiren's Boot disk. Sorry I'm not in a place I can type out more detailed instructions. I believe the BSOD forums have a sticky post on instructions for running these tests.

If both of those tests pass, we can try running chkdsk as Windows suggests; only after we rule out hardware first to be safe.

MemTest just finished. Says Pass complete, no errors. I haven't exited yet unless there's other information that is useful on this screen. About to set up Seagate for a run.

#12 DirtRag

DirtRag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 03:06 PM

Ok so I have ran both tests. MemTest reported that there were no errors. Seatools says this "unfortunately, your seagate hard drive has failed an important diagnostic test, possibly caused by problem sectors which are difficult to read. Now is a good time to make sure you have a current backup of your important data".

#13 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,426 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 03:24 PM

There we go. Your hard drive is failing - not good. It would be best to backup your data and get that hard drive replaced. You can use a Hiren's Bootdisk, and boot the system to MiniXP or PartedMagic to help transfer your data to an external USB device. Hopefully the drive still reads OK to get your data if you don't already have it backed up.

#14 DirtRag

DirtRag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 03:27 PM

There we go. Your hard drive is failing - not good. It would be best to backup your data and get that hard drive replaced. You can use a Hiren's Bootdisk, and boot the system to MiniXP or PartedMagic to help transfer your data to an external USB device. Hopefully the drive still reads OK to get your data if you don't already have it backed up.

Ok I very much appreciate all your help with this. Its an unfortunate answer but I suppose thats life! Again thanks again, you were very helpful in all of this.

#15 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,426 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 03:43 PM

Good luck with getting your data backed up and everything loaded. :thumbup2:

Let us know if you need help with backing up, loading Windows, drivers, or anything else. The good news is that the repair should be relatively cheap if you feel comfortable doing the repairs yourself; you can pickup hard drives as low as $60-80, depending on how much storage you need. You'll also have a nice clean install. Make sure you setup a backup scheme once you have things up and running to prevent data loss in the future if you don't already have something (I recommend a cloud backup such as Carbonite, CrashPlan, Dropbox, or Google Drive).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users