Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Dual Boot Two Installations of Windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 susanrs

susanrs

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 28 February 2016 - 06:39 PM

Hi, everyone -

I recently removed a SATA hard drive from a slow PC I'm retiring and installed it in a faster PC. This faster PC is running Windows 7 home premium. The hard drive from the old PC is also running Windows 7 home premium. I have licenses for both.

Everything is operating fine. Both hard drives are detected when I boot into either. The thing is, I don't get a boot option menu when first turning on the machine.

So, when I want to boot into the other Windows 7 installation (which has different programs and files on it), I have to F10 into the BIOS, change the boot order of the drives, then restart. It's driving me a little crazy.

When I go to Startup and Recovery in the Advanced System options, I have only one operating system listed in the System Startup menu - Windows 7. However, it shows only one Windows 7.

I figure I probably need to manually add the newly installed drive to the boot manager via bcdedit. However, all the instructions I've found so far seem related to either 1.) adding a different OS… or 2.) adding a new boot option when it's on a partition of the same drive.

I'm trying to do it for a separate, newly added hard drive. Plus, my drive letters are different depending on which OS I'm booted into.

When I'm booted into the original Windows 7 OS (named ENT), this is how my drive letters look:

ENT (C:)

FACTORY_IMAGE (D:)

MEDIA (E:) - this is a partition

SYSTEM (G:)

VOY (H:)

FACTORY_IMAGE (I:)

When I'm booted into the second Windows 7 OS (named VOY - and the hard drive I just added to the machine) this is how my drive letters look:

VOY (C:)

FACTORY_IMAGE (D:)

SYSTEM (E:)

MEDIA (F:)

ENT (G:)

FACTORY_IMAGE (H:)

If I'm booted into the original Windows 7 OS (ENT), what commands and/or lines of code would I enter to add the second Windows 7 OS (VOY) to the boot manager?

Thanks in advance, and I apologize for being so... dense!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 28 February 2016 - 07:19 PM

Easy BCD is the answer I would pursue.  Link , I suggest you not click any of the buttons which will install something other than what you want.

Louis

#3 susanrs

susanrs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 28 February 2016 - 08:04 PM

Great. Thanks very much, Louis! I'll give it a try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users