Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD on startup (Win7)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 zico268

zico268

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:57 PM

Hi,

I will try to sum up my problem as shortly as possible here, cuz it's quite long. I have 3 HDDs, on one I have my old Win7 and I wanted to install another Win7 on the second HDD so I can move to the new OS without having to format the old one just yet.

So I unplugged the two drives I won't need and just left the empty one for the clean installation. After I installed the new Win7 I started having boot issues because I plugged back in one HDD, had to change few things in BIOS and the boot started freezing on "initializing usb controllers". I had this before and I think it's an issue with two of my RAM sticks, so I had to remove them, then even the POST screen wouldn't show up etc. I removed CMOS battery, put back in only two RAM sticks that I know work (leaving the other two out) and somehow it worked.

After I installed few things on the new Win7 I stupidly plugged back in the HDD with the old Win7 and booted up the new one. Did few things again, turned off, and then plugged in only the HDD with the old Win7 so I can now go back to the old one. Lo and behold Windows failed to startup and gave me those two options of "startup repair" or "start it normally". First I chose the Startup Repair, which of course couldn't repair anything. After that I chose the normal Startup and just when the windows logo appears and starts loading up the BSOD flashes for a millisecond and the computer restarts. And now obviously I can't run the old Windows.

I had to record the startup just to get a glimpse of the BSOD:
8aFH2fv.jpg

Can I do anything now?

PS. Safe mode doesn't work either, freezes on CLASSPNP.SYS and crashes with a blue screen. Last good confing doesn't work either... :/

The specs are:

Windows 7 (x64)

M-board: ASUS P5K/WIFI-AP

CPU: Intel Core2Duo E8400

GPU: ASUS Nvidia GTX 760 

RAM:

2x1GB DDR2-800 Patriot 

2x512MB DDR2-800 Geil (those are the ones that I have problems with, now removed)

Power Sup: Feel III 500ATX

Edited by zico268, 28 February 2016 - 03:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zico268

zico268
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 28 February 2016 - 03:21 PM

I think I solved it. When I was installing the other Win7 I had problems with discovery and had to change SATA config in BIOS from IDE to AHCI, now I 

changed it back to IDE and the old windows booted up

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users