Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help please. Resetting to Factory

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Steffan87

Steffan87

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:34 PM

Hello guys! I'm sorta new here i usually fix my own problems but windows 8 is really giving me a run for my money, a friend of mine recently asked me to factory reset her HP Pavillion g6 laptop to factory but she did not have the picture password to get into windows (it was a Craigslist buy from an older woman who rarely used it to the point of not remembering her account name and password).

I swear I have tried everything in BIOS from Legacy to moving to boot from cd/dvd I'm even at the point where I am trying to find my old laptop WD Hard drive to just put in there. I have a Burned version of windows 10 that worked perfectly on this computer and still does, i was thinking about making a windows 7 disk to see if that would have any effect?!

Anyways can SOMEONE please tell me how I can reset my computer to factory via bios or disk i cant seem to find my old hard drive so this is my last resort before i have to give it back to her in shame haha. Thanks everyone, I swear I've looked everywhere for answers but win 8 is a bleep with the security stuff.

Im trying not to spend a dime so if it is a password unlocker idea it would have to be free :( (its her responsibility and she doesn't know what shes doing lol)

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Steffan87

Steffan87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:36 PM

I'm not sure if i have it setup right to boot to cd/dvd but I did make sure they are the top of the legacy and normal list, it seems to bypass it so maybe it isnt recognizing the CD? which is weird because my computer did but I did it logged into my old windows.

#3 Steffan87

Steffan87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:40 PM

Also, was wondering if maybe I should burn a windows 8 and try that? I just dont know if its bypassing the CD/DVD windows 10 I have in there or if its even set to boot to the cd, or if the cd is bootable from start. just want to go in delete all partitions make new one and put 10 or any OP on it that will work.

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:59 PM

First of all, we need to establish what you want to do.  From the information supplied, it appears that the laptop has Windows 8 on it but then you talk about putting Windows 7 and Windows 10 on it.  What do you want to do?

#5 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 28 February 2016 - 02:06 PM

I'd download the user guide from the HP web site and see what it says.  If you try to install a different version of Windows, you'll likely get into a big hassle getting drivers for anything other than that laptop was shipped with.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:55 AM

One of our Forum Rules states the following.

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures.

Because of this rule we can't help you with the password.  The only suggestion I will make is to google for a program to extract the existing password.

If you have a legal product key for Windows 8.1 you could just stick with that, this is true of Windows 10 if the computer has the necessary hardware.  But if you want to downgrade to Window 7 you will need to wipe the hdd and reinstall the operating system.  Once again, you will need a legal product key to do this.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,642 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 10:32 AM

In your third image, tapping F11 at boot will let you do a factory reset. This will revert the computer to date of purchase and remove any users and their passwords.

#8 Steffan87

Steffan87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2016 - 01:34 PM

JohnC_21 I tapped f11 on that startup screen it looked like it was going to do something went black then booted to picture screen

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,642 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:23 AM

Does tapping F2 give you the system diagnostics? One thing you can try is to force the Advanced Boot Options. Then do a Reset.

1. Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  2. Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  4. Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  5. Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
  6. Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot.
  7. Select Reset your PC to erase all data and restore the system.
  8. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete recovery.

#10 Eiv4sir

Eiv4sir

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 10:21 PM

Have you tried to restore to factory default from there suport site or even gone into all programs and restore factory... Granted will have all the junk but easily cleaned up otherwise set boot order and boot usb from a Windows 10 http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2376-usb-flash-drive-create-install-windows

Edited by Eiv4sir, 05 March 2016 - 10:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users