Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 update stuck at "downloading"

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 andrew193

andrew193

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 28 February 2016 - 11:48 AM

I've discovered that the Win 10 November update is listed but is completely stuck at "downloading update" and never gets any further.

I've run "Troubleshooter" which found a couple of problems and fixed them but still no November update and i also see that the latest February update has "failed" as well.

Everything i try doesn't start the updates so i'm at a complete loss at what else to do. :(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:03 PM

Two things to try.  First open an administrative command prompt and issue this command: sfc /scannow.  Next download MalwareBytes, get it up to date and do a scan.  SFC will probably run in 3 or 4 minutes, MalwareBytes 10 to 20 minutes, depending on how much you have on your C: drive. 

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 andrew193

andrew193
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2016 - 02:25 PM

Two things to try.  First open an administrative command prompt and issue this command: sfc /scannow.  Next download MalwareBytes, get it up to date and do a scan.  SFC will probably run in 3 or 4 minutes, MalwareBytes 10 to 20 minutes, depending on how much you have on your C: drive. 

Good luck.

Tried both and no difference.

#4 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 11:23 AM

Try booting from a repair disc and doing a system repair.  If you don't have one, you can make one by going to the Control Panel -> Backup and Restore -> Create system repair disc.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#5 jason1997

jason1997

• Banned Spammer
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:43 AM

try downloading from microsofts website instead of off your system. If this is what youre doing then in your start menu type "check for updates" and then it should take you to a page then click install updates. If this dont work then do what niweg said

#6 andrew193

andrew193
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:26 AM

try downloading from microsofts website instead of off your system. If this is what youre doing then in your start menu type "check for updates" and then it should take you to a page then click install updates. If this dont work then do what niweg said

Tried doing this and will just locked me out saying i couldn't acess the site. :(  Looked at doing a re set of the laptop but it would mean having to reinstall all my apps and a load of Microsoft stuff as well but as ths store isn't working i'm pretty much stuffed. looks like i'll have to go down the route of a repair disk. :(  :(

#7 jason1997

jason1997

• Banned Spammer
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:34 AM

Tried doing this and will just locked me out saying i couldn't acess the site. :(  Looked at doing a re set of the laptop but it would mean having to reinstall all my apps and a load of Microsoft stuff as well but as ths store isn't working i'm pretty much stuffed. looks like i'll have to go down the route of a repair disk. :(  :(

Save your files and apps onto an external hdd before doing a fresh install, you could also run start up repair which gives an option to keep all your documents

#8 Anubis4272

Anubis4272

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:38 AM

Hello, I would recommend doing the following. 

On occasion the updates that are downloaded are corrupted or fail during download.

What we can do is delete the downloaded updates and allow the system to re download them.

1.) The easiest method is to download Glary's Utilities from ninite.com here

- it will be under utilities as Glarys.

- once you have the program opened select the 1 click clean and make sure the following items are checked. 

VF6PLlm.png

2.) after the scan completes restart the computer and windows will try the download once again. 

With any computer system this option can help but is not a definite method to this issue. I suggest making restore points before trying any thing to repair the problem.

I hope this helps your problem. 

Edited by Anubis4272, 03 March 2016 - 10:38 AM.

#9 andrew193

andrew193
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2016 - 04:47 AM

Found this solution on another forum which worked a treat and solved all my problems in one.

Right click "Start" and choose RUN then type regedit press ok

Goto entry Hkey_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackUp

If FilesNotToBackUp is listed exit regedit

If NOT listed create a RegSubKey. Right click Backuprestore goto NEW goto KEY and add FilesNotToBackUp and press enter. Exit Regedit.

Right Click "Start" and choose RUN then type services.msc press ok

DOUBLE CLICK folder Background Intelligent Transfer Service then in general tab click START

Exit everything and best to restart PC/Laptop

Fingers crossed Windows updates & Store updates should now start and install.

As i said it worked for me, and lots of others as well, and i've now got a fully updates laptop. :bananas: :bananas:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users