Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Volume Control Disappears On Reboot

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 straightupwv

straightupwv

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 28 February 2016 - 09:40 AM

I have an old Dell computer that runs XP SP3.  It has an old sound card, an Aureal Vortex 8830, that I dearly love.  Unfortunately, it hasn't been made in quite a few years and there are no driver updates to be had.  As the title of this post says, the volume control has started to disappear when I reboot.  When I go into the control panel to get it back, "Place volume icon on the taskbar" is already checked.  If I uncheck it, hit apply, then check it again, it comes back.  When this problem first reared it's ugly head a week ago, I Googled it.  More than several solutions I found said to copy a file called "sndvol.exe from the folder C:\Windows\System32\dllcache and paste it into C:\Windows\System32.  I tried that but it had no affect.  Does anyone out there have any other ideas that might help me?

Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:11 AM

A couple of searches suggested that disabling UPnP in Networking helps but I can't confirm this. I would create a restore point first. 

Control Panel> Add and Remove Windows Components (on the Left Pane)>Networking Devices>uncheck UPnP (Plug and Play)

e346b27538bd48dca56cfa62b20ecd2e_A.png?a

#3 straightupwv

straightupwv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 08:15 AM

Thanks a bunch for trying JohnC_21 but that had no affect.  I do appreciate the effort!

UPDATE:  I just noticed that the "Safely Remove Hardware" for USB devices is also missing.  The only icon displayed is for AVG antivirus.  Hmm...

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,203 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:11 AM

Have you tried doing a system restore to a date before the problem. Any programs installed or files added to the desktop after the restore date will be gone so move any files and folders added after the restore date from the desktop to My Documents.

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 February 2016 - 09:12 AM.

#5 straightupwv

straightupwv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 01:43 PM

I actually thought of that last night so I tried to restore to January 20th of this year.  It came back saying that I couldn't restore to that day.  Oddly enough, the icons appeared.  I rebooted and the icons were gone.  The last time I had trouble with System Restore was because of a nasty piece of malware.  This morning I, ran Malware Bytes Anti Rootkit, Malware Bytes Anti Malware, Spybot Search and Destroy and CCleaner, (not the registry cleaner section).  Mbam found a PUP called "AskPIP_FF.exe".  I got rid of it.  After rebooting, the icons came back once more.  I rebooted just to make sure and they were gone again.  Assuming that after running the cleaning programs that I would have a better shot with System Restore, I tried to restore to February 1st.  Again, it refused and the icons came back.  They disappeared after another reboot.  Is it possible that the registry could have become corrupted and be fixed using Regedit?  Before you might ask, no, I don't mess with Regedit without someone who knows a whole lot more than I do giving me complete and thorough instructions. 

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,203 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 01:56 PM

Do the icons disappear when in Safe Mode? If not then there some software or driver conflict is causing the problem. If the problem does not appear in Safe Mode then do a Clean Boot and add services and startup items until the problem appears. 

If the problem still happens in Safe Mode and you have a XP SP3 install disk do a sfc /scannow at an admin command prompt to check for missing or corrupt system files. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 February 2016 - 01:56 PM.

#7 straightupwv

straightupwv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2016 - 08:08 AM

No luck in safe mode so I ran fsc /scannow with my XP SP3 disk in the machine.  After about 10 minutes, it told me to insert my SP3 disk.  Back to Bleeping Computer I went to see if I could find a solution for this new problem.  I found one that was 3 pages long:  3 pages of solutions, discussions and dissenting opinions.  The whole thing went way over my head pretty quickly.  Essentially, Microsoft's updates had rendered my disk useless for this task.   I'm almost ready to give up, dban the harddrive and reinstall.  This time, I'll turn off automatic updates.  While I know that's dangerous, so is running XP in 2016.  Why not upgrade?  I just don't have the means to buy a new computer every time Microsoft changes its mind.  Sorry to vent on you.  You've put an extrordinary amount of effort into helping me with this problem.  I can't thank you enough.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,203 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2016 - 08:59 AM

If your install disk is not SP3 then you can slipstream SP3 into the install disk and create a new iso which you can burn. If you are interested in this then I can post the links and instructions. At this point though it may be easier to do a clean install.

If you decide to do a wipe and the recovery partition is intact you can Hold the Ctrl key and tap F11 at boot to do a factory reset. 

Depending on what you use this computer for and the amount of RAM on it you may want to take a look at a linux distro like Mint Xfce or Xubuntu. These do not require a lot of resources. You can burn the DVD and boot it. No need to install and determine if it meets your needs. Also, the chances of getting a malware infection with linux is very small compared to XP. 

Mint Xfce

Xubuntu

If you have a fairly good processor and a least 1GB or RAM you can run a different distro that can support it.

Mint Cinnamon

Ubuntu

What is the model number of the Dell?

#9 straightupwv

straightupwv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2016 - 01:20 PM

The Dell is an Optiplex GX270 with a 2.8 gig P4 processor and 3.25 gigs of RAM.  The XP disk is SP3.  I don't know or understand Linux at all because I've never used it.  I've had issues with some versions of it in the past because of my ancient video card, an Nvidia GeForce FX5500.  I recently found a version of Ubantu that supports my old hardware so the new plan is to dual boot and see what it's about.  As far as usage goes, I'm a web surfer and a music producer.  I have a home studio that relies on a program called Audacity.  That's why I love my old sound card so much; it works seamlessly with Audacity and it sounds great.  Back in the early days of digital recording, it was the standard.  I could use the Ubantu OS to surf and XP for the music part.  Ironically enough, I would still have to dig around for the volume control.

Wish me luck!

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,203 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2016 - 01:57 PM

That computer should run linux Mint Cinnamon and Ubuntu very well. I have an old XP computer dual booting with linux Ubuntu and has a Geforce 6100. 

You don't need to install it. Just run from a USB flash drive with persistence to save your settings.

http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

There is an Audacity version for Ubuntu

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 March 2016 - 01:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users