Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I Downgrade to Windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:14 PM

I bought a Toshiba laptop in early December and was completely befuddled by my first Windows 10 experience, so I put it aside for a few months.  Last week I started over and really hate everything about Windows 10.  I am having a variety of problems with my computer now, including having problems installing programs (I can't run Spybot Anti-Beacon, the computer freezes and I had a tou,gh time installing Libre Office, too.)  I tried installing W7 from a disk (legal copy) and reset the booting order to boot to DVD in the UEFI and when I tried installing, got an error msg about the system not finding a proper digital signature, so I gave up and went back to W10.  I just installed an Intel wifi update and now my fan is running constantly.  I spoke with a technician about installing W7 and they told me it probably wouldn't work;  Why not?  I read recently that MS has been working with chip manufacturers to block W10 machines from downgrading back to 7.  I have an Intel i7 5500 CPU @ 2.40 GHz.  Is there any reason I can't install W7?   If I can, how do I deal with that digital signature issue?  And if not, how do I uninstall the Intel update that has my fan now running non-stop?  Where do I find out which update was installed?  I tried poking around in event viewer but don't really know where to look.  

I have two other computers with W7 and I'd like to have consistency in using all three computers.

Even if MS discontinues supporting W7 in 2020, II would have a good 3-4 years of easy usage.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:19 PM

Go into the BIOS, look for secure boot related options, turn secure boot of, with luck you should be able to (make a note to yourself to always check that secure boot can be disbaled before buying any computer in future). With secure boot turned off try installing from the disc again, once again make sure that the boot order has the optical disc drive first on it. Also make sure to have a system image of windows 10 before beginning this, so if something goes wrong here you can restore windows 10 to how it was earlier, if this all works and you get windows 7 running make an image of 7, you'll no longer need the windows 10 image then. One other thing, if disbaling secure boot doesn't do it see if you can use BIOS legacy options rather than UEFI, BIOS doesn't support secure boot at all so it won't have these kinds of problems, but things might be easier if you can get windows 7 to work wth UEFI rathert than BIOS, so try for UEFI (with secure boot disbaled) first, consider trying with legacy BIOS mode if that won't work.

P.S. I tae it you are trying to install windows 7 with the key that came with the disc. that is to say you are trying to replace the win 10 operating system on this machine with win7. The word "downgrade" sometimes implies you're trying to get the key you have for windows10 to become a windows 7 key instead, but by your description that doesn't seem to be what you're trying to do.

Edited by rp88, 28 February 2016 - 01:20 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:31 PM

If a computer came with Windows 10 installed, I think one has to purchase either an OEM or True-Blue Microsoft Windows 7 DVD install, am I correct?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:40 PM

What I would do in your case would be to go back to Windows 10 and install the free program Classic Shell.  With it you can make Windows 10 look and feel exactly like Windows 10.  I've been running Windows 10 Pro on two desktops since 10/1/14 on the Insider program, and am running the Home version on my 2 month Dell Inspiron 5559 laptop with none of the problems you described.  Even if you get Windows 7 installed on your PC, you'll probably have a very hard time getting compatible drivers for it if the manufacturer didn't create them for it.  If the manufacturer is planning on shipping with Windows 10, it's extra time and expense for them to create, test, distribute, and support them for a different release.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2016 - 08:34 PM

"...the free program Classic Shell.  With it you can make Windows 10 look and feel exactly like Windows  7..."

I think that is what Niweg meant.  From my experience, Classic Shell works well; it's only a problem if it gets in one's way when explorer.exe has to be fixed.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#6 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2016 - 12:47 PM

I want Windows 7.  I found someone with a similar desire as me who posted in a Toshiba forum.  I noted that the drivers for Windows 7 were listed with this model.

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Drivers-and-Utilities/S55-C5274-Windows-7/td-p/677334

If I had the drivers and did a complete reformat of the HD, and a fresh legal copy of W7, why wouldn't it work?  I don't think the chip mfg for this has altered the chips so the machine can't be downgraded.

Will this work?  How do I get past the error msg I had on my first attempt?  I reset the UEFI to boot to DVD and got an error msg about no digital signature found.  The next event was a program ran that attempted to recover the HD. 

Thanks.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2016 - 02:14 PM

No digital signature found most likely means SecureBoot is not disabled.

https://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/TSB2B03F30002R01.htm

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 March 2016 - 02:15 PM.

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:13 PM

...along with SecureBoot=disabled; I think Legacy somewhere has to be enabled, correct, JohnC?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:20 PM

As long as Windows 7 is 64bit then it can boot on a UEFI computer and installed on a GPT disk. XP 32 bit needs to be booted Legacy.

#10 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2016 - 07:30 AM

I have much to learn before I attempt this.  I'd like to have the procedures pretty well mapped out before I jump in.  Thanks.

#11 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2016 - 07:50 PM

I hope you don't live to regret it, but I fear you will.  Whatever you do, you should make a full system backup to an external hard drive.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#12 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 10:52 PM

Why Downgrade? pretty soon there will be no other microsoft windows in the world. Just windows 10 and nobody will have a choice.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 11:22 AM

@LittleGreenDots you may be better off installing ClassicShell which will give you the feel of Windows 7 if you are not able to handle Windows 10. I would not recommend downgrading to 7. You may be dealing with driver issues on the new computer and if it has one of the new CPUs then Windows 7 will not be supported after 2017.

#14 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2016 - 07:30 AM

I don't want Windows 10, period.  When 7 is no longer supported (I think I have a few good years), I will be more comfortable with the Linux system.  I am downloading it as a dual boot and see how things go.  The drivers for this computer were available for Windows 7.  I decided that what is suggested here is beyond my skill set, so I took it into a local computer shop and they are going to let me know if this is possible. 

THANKS for the help here. 

'

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:54 AM

Please post an update on how things went. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users