Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Workgroup help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 copiman

copiman

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:31 PM

First of all I am a student in networking and computers. I am aware of homegroup and how it works. I am trying to explore the workgroup feature. My understanding is that with workgroup you can control who has access and also control exactly what files they have access to. I have attempted to set this up on 3 PCs (Vista, 7, and 8.1). Apparently I am missing something and need help.

I have done the following:

Network Discovery ON
File and Printer Sharing ON
Public Folder Sharing OFF
Media Streaming OFF
File Sharing Connections use 128bit encryption
Password Protected Sharing ON

Each PC has one user account (admin)
WORKGROUP is named WORKGROUPTEST for all PCs
Network name is the same for all PCs
Network type is Private for Vista/8.1 and Work for 7

Cannot find full instructions so I came here in hopes someone can help me get this going.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:40 AM

The main thing for workgroups is that each machine must have the same users with the same passwords on all machines.  This is why Microsoft recommends that you move to a server based network at 10 users, it is easier to manage.  You need to have passwords, something that most people find to be a road block.  If passwords are an issue just make them simple, like 1.

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 28 February 2016 - 11:06 AM

Key sentences here:

"My understanding is that with workgroup you can control who has access and also control exactly what files they have access to."

and

"Each PC has one user account (admin)"

Your understanding is correct about workgroups.  Problem is you shot yourself in the foot using a admin account which by default has more rights than a limited account like being a member of HomeUsers or User.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users