Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old HP/Seagate HDD convertor?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mrsmccaw

mrsmccaw

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:04 PM

Hi, I was wondering if anybody would be able to help me please.

Unfortunately I am not very technical, so if anybody has any clues, please pitch them at me like I am an old great-aunty.

I had an old HP laptop (sometime around 2004), that I somebody salvaged the HDD for.  It has model ST94019A, HP and Seagate logos on it - 40GB.

It won't fit anything in my house so I can view it on my current laptop.  If anybody knows what cable and/or software I need to be able to hook this up to my current HP Spectre, I'd be very grateful.

Attached is a pic of the bit I need to find a converter for.

Cheers :)

Attached File  hdd.jpg   65.3KB   1 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:18 PM

Here is the manual for the drive. I believe you will find that what you see is a plastic adapter that attaches to the 40pin IDE connector. Can you remove it? You would need a USB adapter like this to pull the data. Looking at your image you can see the blue jumper behind the plastic adapter.

232942.png

Here is the adapter. Carefully pull it off the pins.

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 February 2016 - 09:21 PM.

#3 mrsmccaw

mrsmccaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:20 PM

Thank you so much, JohnC, I'll give it a try. Thanks :)

#4 mrsmccaw

mrsmccaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2016 - 12:30 AM

Thank you John! It worked, now i will get an adaptor :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users