Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Copying to SSD

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 joe_pau

joe_pau

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 27 February 2016 - 08:33 PM

Recently worked on a system installing a 500 gig SSD. It is a secondary drive with Muisc and Pics on it. After copying and pasting data, I shrunk the volume to create a restore partition and change the drive letters. Fine, done.

Went in later to listen to music and Windows Media Player did not find the music files (FYI...The OS is on a recently cloned separate SSD. ) In fact, my music files I thought I copied over are no longer there! Surprise, surprise, surprise!

Any ideas? What did I miss?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 28 February 2016 - 11:58 AM

Do you still have the pics on the secondary SSD? One thing you can try is to download Partition Wizard. Run Partition Recovery on the secondary drive. Do Full Disk, Quick Scan. If may find your previous partition structure. Double click each partition is finds. Do you see any Music Files? If you do, then I would first copy what data you have on the secondary to the primary or external drive. Then Scan again and check the boxes of the partitions with the files you are looking for. Press Finish then Apply. If you cannot find any partition using Quick Scan then try Full Scan but this will take awhile on a 500GB drive.

When you resized the partition after copying over the files, you may have corrupted the partition table. 

You said you copied the Music and Pics. Are they still on the Primary drive?

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 28 February 2016 - 12:26 PM

"... shrunk the volume to create a restore partition.." shrunk down to how much byte-space?  Did you "cut away" from the "beginning" or the "ending" of this volume?  Reason for asking:  Some time ago, I did several "end of partition cuttings" to my OS partition -- after I defragged OS volume, making sure nothing was in the "ends" to be cut.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 joe_pau

joe_pau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:47 PM

Do you still have the pics on the secondary SSD? One thing you can try is to download Partition Wizard. Run Partition Recovery on the secondary drive. Do Full Disk, Quick Scan. If may find your previous partition structure. Double click each partition is finds. Do you see any Music Files? If you do, then I would first copy what data you have on the secondary to the primary or external drive. Then Scan again and check the boxes of the partitions with the files you are looking for. Press Finish then Apply. If you cannot find any partition using Quick Scan then try Full Scan but this will take awhile on a 500GB drive.

When you resized the partition after copying over the files, you may have corrupted the partition table. 

You said you copied the Music and Pics. Are they still on the Primary drive?

#5 joe_pau

joe_pau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:55 PM

The primary drive only has the OS and programs on it. Pics or music on secondary.

I cloned the primary SSD (from a 128gig SSD to 240gig SSD) and copied and pasted to from 1TB to a 500 gig SSD.

Makes sense what you say. Given me a lot to look at. I think I might just do a fresh OS install and restore from system image. Seems like a cleaner way of doing it. Do you agree?

Thanks again for your help.

#6 joe_pau

joe_pau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:57 PM

"... shrunk the volume to create a restore partition.." shrunk down to how much byte-space?  Did you "cut away" from the "beginning" or the "ending" of this volume?  Reason for asking:  Some time ago, I did several "end of partition cuttings" to my OS partition -- after I defragged OS volume, making sure nothing was in the "ends" to be cut.

#7 joe_pau

joe_pau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2016 - 11:01 PM

I cut at the end of the volume. 100 gig partition for recovery. Didn't defrag.

I'm thinking of starting over with fresh OS install and restore from system image.

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 29 February 2016 - 07:16 AM

Avoid doing anything with the original HD containing the original data files, pics, etc. -- until after you have made a full-image or two of whatever partition contains those original data files onto at least one if not two usb external hard-drives.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#9 joe_pau

joe_pau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 11:12 AM

Thanks for that. Will do!

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:14 PM

I agree with RolandJS, post 8. If you have a system image then go ahead and reinstall the OS. If you want to resize partitions then use Partition Wizard instead. Do the resizing before you copy the data.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users