Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD/DVD drive does not read...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TinoNgombo

TinoNgombo

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 27 February 2016 - 03:10 PM

Greetings.

I have a Compaq Presario CQ42 laptop that a friend gave me to fix and it does not read any discs at all.

I have tried Microsoft FixIt to troubleshoot the issue, but I had no success with it. According to him, the laptop does not have more than 1 year of usage. Now, I am wondering if it is a driver issue or an actual hardware problem.

Any help, please? (there is an attached image file here, with the PC specs).

Thank you in advance.

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 28 February 2016 - 10:50 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 27 February 2016 - 04:51 PM

That CD/DVD drive might just need cleaning.  Crud can build up in them and cause problems that are often remedied by using a good inexpensive cleaning kit.  They're not expensive.  I don't have any reason to suspect software unless someone's recently replaced the driver.  If need be, these drives can be replaced for about $20.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 TinoNgombo

TinoNgombo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:22 PM

Ok, thank you so much, Niweg. I will try to do that.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,211 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:32 PM

It could also be that the laser diode has failed, they do from time to time. If it has, the only cure is replacement of the drive unit. If cleaning doesn't work it is probably the diode since the system recognises the unit.

As Niweg has pointed out, they are not expensive and normally easy to replace. One or two screws and the unit just slides out, a new one slides in, and refasten the screw(s). For appearance sake, you may also want to take the bezel off the old on and fit it to the new so that it matches the appearance of the rest of the laptop, but this is not essential.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users