Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Software to install on new desktop

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Relmiw

Relmiw

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 27 February 2016 - 03:03 PM

I'm about to setup a new desktop for myself for the first time in 7 years. It'll probably last me for another 7. Does anyone have any suggestions on things to add to / remove from / substitute from this list of software to install? Some of these have been with me for 14 years, so I would not be surprised if there are better versions out there. I mainly plan on using the computer for Reddit, Youtube, Starcraft, music, occasional photo editing and spreadsheets. You can pretty much get the picture from the following list of software. Thank you all for any help.

• AVG Antivirus
  • Spybot
  • CC Cleaner
  • Firefox with Adblocker
  • Driver Booster
  • Game Booster (temporarily shuts down unneeded tasks)
  • Drop box
  • Nero (burning software)
  • Cloudberry (accessing Amazon Glacier)
  • Starcraft 2
  • Microsoft Office Starter Pack (I'd like full version, but this is free)
  • VLC Player
  • Kodak EasyShare Software (I use this for cleaning up photos. Got it in 2002. I feel like there must be a better option out there)
  • IrFan View (for more advanced image editing. Infrequently used)

Final question, would there be any advantage to installing Malwarebytes in addition to Spybot, AVG and CCCLeaner, or is that redundant?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 27 February 2016 - 03:05 PM

warning.gifDriver Updater Warning!
I see that you are using a "Driver Updater" program. I strongly advise you to uninstall it/them and to never use such programs again since they can damage your system at a point where a reinstallation of Windows might be needed.
  • Drivers are "middlemen" between your OS (Windows) and your hardware (computer). They control and facilitate the interaction between Windows and hardware components, to deliver a "message", nothing more;
  • Having all of your drivers up to date, all the time, will not improve the performance of your system, nor your computer. You cannot increase the hardware performance of a component over the current capabilities it have;
  • Driver updates are released to fix a bug or an issue with a previous release of that driver. Not everyone with the same drivers will experience the issue, so if you are having no problems with the drivers you are running, you don't need to update them. "If it's not broken, don't fix it";
  • You can download drivers for free from your computer/laptop manufacturers website, or from the hardware component manufacturers website. You don't need to pay for any of them, if you are being asked to pay for drivers it is likely a scam;
  • Only drivers from the computer/laptop manufacturers website, or the hardware component manufacturers website are considered official (legitimate and working). You should not download drivers from anywhere else;
  • Driver Updaters are a scam, they try to convince you that you need these programs in order to make your system perform well, which is false;
  • It has been tested and proven that these programs will detect outdated drivers on a system that have the most updated drivers from the manufacturer, which shows that they don't work and/or they try to make you install "newer" suspicious drivers;
  • The goal of the distributors of such programs is to make money by making you buy their useless product, or install additional software (PUPs) when you install their program. Your system will perform worse with these programs installed than without;
This being said, such programs could be seen as "pure scam" and should be avoided at all cost.

Here's some articles that talks about Driver Updater programs and why they shouldn't be used:In other words, Driver Booster and Game Booster can be uninstalled. Useless pieces of software. Also, I would replace Spybot with Malwarebytes, since Spybot isn't on the same level anymore as Malwarebytes, and I would drop Adblocker for uBlock Origin, as a multi-purpose blocker is way more efficient than a simple adblocker.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,101 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 03:45 PM

There is a website that hosts many popular programs that doesn't allow the usual adware that is bundled with the programs.

Ninite - Install or Update Multiple Apps at Once

AVG Free is adware intensive. Avast might be a better choice in the free category. If you are purchasing I would suggest

either Eset or Kaspersky.

Other than that....Aura has nailed it.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 27 February 2016 - 03:59 PM

Sophos Free is also an option for free AV - good protection with no nagging ads.

Game Booster is unnecessary, just exit programs manually before you start playing. There is no telling what Game Booster might mess with in its work to free up memory for your games.

#5 Relmiw

Relmiw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 04:46 PM

Wow, thank you all for the quick responses.  These are surprises to me for sure.

Regarding driver booster.  In the past I've been traumatized by things like sound not working.  After investigations I'd learn it was due to drivers.  After even more investigations I'd learn how to update this.  So, I got driver booster so that I didn't have to worry about it.  Never paid for it, but it does fairly frequently tell me I've got some outdated drivers and does some magic to make it seem better.  I suppose I'll skip installing that on the new computer and deal with any problems as they arise. 

I'll drop game booster too. It gives a report of what it's temporarily blocking.  As I remember, it's usually processes where programs scan the internet for updates.  The program then tells me something like "Performance increased by 16%!"

Are we sure about dropping AVG and Spybot?  I've been using them for a long time and have a pretty good handle with the interfaces.

Regarding uBlock Origin, thank you for that tip.  AdBlocker has been a HUGE improvement for sites like Youtube, but uBlock does all that and more?

I appreciate all this help and like the theme of making things simpler.  I am certainly a fan of fewer programs supposing that everything still gets done

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:41 PM

AVG Free will try to push a lot of useless and potentially harmful programs on your system, like AVG PC TuneUp, AVG Web TuneUp, AVG Secure Search, etc. You don't need that, trust me. Same for Spybot S&D. Spybot and SUPERAntiSpyware were good back then, but now they can't really complete against other Antimalware like Malwarebytes, HitmanPro, etc. It seems like they're still stuck in the era they were created in.

And uBlock Origin is a light-weight multi-purpose blocker, so on top of blocking ads, it'll also blocks scripts and other annoyances on webpages.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 Relmiw

Relmiw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:34 PM

AVG Free will try to push a lot of useless and potentially harmful programs on your system, like AVG PC TuneUp, AVG Web TuneUp, AVG Secure Search, etc. You don't need that, trust me. Same for Spybot S&D. Spybot and SUPERAntiSpyware were good back then, but now they can't really complete against other Antimalware like Malwarebytes, HitmanPro, etc. It seems like they're still stuck in the era they were created in.

And uBlock Origin is a light-weight multi-purpose blocker, so on top of blocking ads, it'll also blocks scripts and other annoyances on webpages.

Thank you.  I have noticed a lot of ads from AVG.  I haven't noticed it with Spybot, but it's good to know it hasn't been keeping up with the times. 

I notice that there have been no criticisms to CC Cleaner, Nero, VLC Player or Kodak Easy Share Software.  Perhaps they're keeping up with the times?  The first three at least.  Kodak Easy Share I got off a CD in 2002

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:53 PM

CCleaner is still a really good software, as long as you stay away from the Registry Cleaner. VLC is one of the best free multimedia player, and I have no opinion on Nero nor Kodak Easy Share Software. If they work for you, then it's good.

unite_blue.png

#9 zod1

zod1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 05:44 AM

warning.gifDriver Updater Warning!
In other words, Driver Booster and Game Booster can be uninstalled. Useless pieces of software. Also, I would replace Spybot with Malwarebytes, since Spybot isn't on the same level anymore as Malwarebytes, and I would drop Adblocker for uBlock Origin, as a multi-purpose blocker is way more efficient than a simple adblocker.

100% agree on that. I also rather not use "nero" bleepty stuff too, there are like 100 free utilities that will do the same for free and are 5Mb installed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users